Thread: Diabetes & Lupus

Thanks

Default Diabetes & Lupus

Okay I have another question..I was wondering if anyone has developed diabetes after they were diagnosed with lupus? The reason why I'm asking is that I was once told by one of my doctors awhile back that it could be a possibilty that I could get diabetes..both my parents are diabetic which I'm sure I could possibly be a candidate. I have a glucose meter & I check it, but it reads in the right range. But yet, when I eat certain foods I feel lightheaded & kinda nauseated. So I didn't know if anyone one else might feel that way or even if its related to diabetes. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Social Butterfly;
    The only connection that I've heard of between Lupus and Diabetes is steroid-induced diabetes in Lupus patients. This is a condition in which your body does not produce enough insulin to maintain a normal blood glucose (sugar) level. Long-term use of corticosteroids may cause diabetes, which must be treated in the same way as it is for other people with diabetes.
    If you are diagnosed with steroid-induced diabetes, ask your doctor or nurse to refer you to a diabetes education program. These programs help newly diagnosed people with diabetes learn about diabetes and manage their condition so that they continue to live a healthy and productive life.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie