Thread: Warning about bagged spinach - linked to e-coli outbreak

Thanks

Default Warning about bagged spinach - linked to e-coli outbreak

For those who missed it on the news - the FDA is warning people not to use those precleaned bags of spinach you find in the stores - they have been linked to an e-coli outbreak in 7 states, but they haven't tracked down the source of the contamination yet. Since our screwy immune systems put us at risk for this type of thing, thought I would pass this along in case anybody likes spinach salad as much as I do - my two bags of spinach just went into the garbage. I guess I'll be eating my mandarin oranges without the spinach for a while.

Thanks

That's happened with the pre-packaged lettuce in the past. i always wash it even through they say they clean it. Better to be safe than sorry!
    Thanks for the info Marycain!
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I had e-coli several years ago which ended up with 10 days in the hospital on major anti-biotics. I don't think I've ever been that sick, even on my worst days with hospitalization with Lupus!!! My husband and I could not figure out how I contracted it until we researched and found that bagged lettuce, spinach etc. was probably the culprit. I've never purchased any bagged produce since then :?
    Once bitten..twice shy (lol)

Thanx for the heads-up!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

My doctor warned me about hamburger meat, which I don't eat anyway, and also canteloupe and watermelon, which because of the high water content can be easily contaminated with e-coli and also have very high levels of pesticides, but he never mentioned spinach.

Butterfly, as I understand it, washing the spinach or lettuce might not necessarily help, because the fruit or vegetable might have actually absorbed the bacteria or contaminant - remember the old science experiement where you put the celery stalk into the water with the food coloring and watch the celery change color? I think the e-coli contamination basically works the same way.