Thread: Lupus and age

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Lupus and age

Hi everybody.

just a few short years ago i could still be atleast 20% more active than what i am now. (Am 25 and had lupus for 10 years) however, it seems that these days i am having much more regular symptoms, like being completely "wasted" when goin up a flight of stairs (could usually run up two at a time.

These changes just worry me.
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Thanks

Hey Morpheus! I think as we get older and more symptoms crop up it tires us more. It's such a chore for me to clean my house. I start a room and can get about halfway finished and I'm tired. I have the energy when I start and then out of nowhere it catches up with me. If you try and pace yourself and take lots of breaks I think you will find it is easier to deal with. I understand how it bothers you being young and not being able to act your age. Best of luck !
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Morpheus;
    The fatigue is worrisome, I know. But, one of the things that we've all had to do is to adjust our activities so as to lessen the fatigue. Like ButterflyRN said, just getting older makes us have to slow down a bit. Getting older with Lupus requires even more pacing of ourselves.
    I think that, given the debilitating fatigue that we have to endure, the fact that you can still climb the stairs should be cause for celebration. Some of us are not even able to do that!! Do not think in terms of what you can no longer do, think in terms of what you are still able to do and then try to improve upon those things!! You might find that you are able to do more than you think you can, just not the same things as you had done before!!
    I am a big advocate of regular exercise and I know, with Lupus, our exercise routine will have to be changed several times. You may find that you are very good at something that you never thought of before...like swimming, yoga, or some other form of non-jarring exercise.
    Hang in there and don't let yourself get to upset about the stairs, claim your victory doing something new!!

Best of Luck
    Saysusie

Thanks

Oh Morpheus,

I completely understand how you worry and we all want to compare ourselves with what we "used" to be; but we have to leave that mark; and set a new mark for ourselves. Like you, as symptoms began to take hold of different areas of my life, I was gently reminded by my mom that a year ago I was lying in a hospital with kidney failure and look at where I am now. A year ago I had suffered a mild heart attack....so my dear friend; I know all too well how you worry.

Everyone here has had to learn by trial and error about limitations, and as Saysusie recommended we all have something we can do...you will find that there are trade off's - enjoy every breath; celebrate every moment....and laugh a little everyday.

Hang in there and hold on Morpheus, we love you just as you are!!!!

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown