Thread: I'm new and have a question about leg/arm jerks/twitches

Thanks

Default I'm new and have a question about leg/arm jerks/twitches

I was dx'ed with SLE on Friday after years of symptoms that were summed up as endometriosis, depression, migraines, and hormonal imbalances.

I have noticed that when I am especially fatigued (which is most of the time) and I lay down my arms and legs sort of jerk or spasm as if I'm being hit on the knee with that little rubber mallet the doc uses to test reflexes. Has anyone experienced this?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Many of us Lupus sufferers also suffer from Fibromyalgia and one of the most common symptoms of Fibromyalgia is muscle twitching and spasms. Other symptoms include: burning muscles, numbness and tingling sensation; dry mouth and eyes, slow and slurring speech, coordination and balance difficulties.
    Your muscle twitching may also be a response to extreme fatigue (a common symptom of Lupus and Fibromyalgia) or some of your medication. The problem with muscle twitching is that it is a common symptom for several diseases, and for some things that are not *disease* in origin. One of the most common ways to determine the origin of the disease (whether disease oriented or not) is through blood tests. A rise in certain muscle enzymes is common when the problem is disease related - doesn't happen in cases other than disease related.
    As I said, the most common *disease-related* causes for muscle weakness include: lupus, Fibromyalgia, polymyositis, and myasthenia gravis. The most common *non-disease-related* causes for muscle twitching nclude: medication effects (steroids and Plaquenil, for example), or electrolyte imbalances.
    I hope that this was helpful :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Thanks!

That was helpful. My rheumy said I DO NOT have fibromyalgia. I suspected it was from the exhaustion, but not sure. I feel like I have a whole new world to learn.

Thanks

I get that, too... The worst is when you are trying to sleep and your muscles spasm all over the place!!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

I get that too but honestly thought everyone did when they are tired. Geez sometimes my brain just doesn't connect cause I never thought it was abnormal. DUH! Thanks for enlightening me. Guess I should tell the dr about it huh? ops:

Thanks

Default Me too!

But It doesn't only happen to me @ night , sometimes during the day when my body is at rest. But my new neurologist said, that is a classic sign of Sjogrens, I also have been told that I don't have fibromyalgia. But I think Its the pattern of when and where on your body specifically, is how he came to that conclusion. Because he asked me to pinpoint specific spots.
    Good Luck!
    Saphire19

Thanks

I have that too. My mom also had it. I thought it was Restless Leg Syndrome.

Now that I've been diagnosed with an autoimmune problem, I've started to see many signs that my mom might have also had similar problems. I wish she was still here to discuss it with. She was one who never went to doctors, so I'll never know for sure.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I also get it frequently.
    Never really bothered that much about it though.
    I intend to live forever, so far so good

Thanks

Default Reply

I am so glad that I am not the only one that experience the jerking in my leg. I get numbness and tingling in my feet and legs. My legs literally feel tight sometime. I have to keep them moving. I have had that pain for about 1 month now. It's aggrevating me. I pray over my body and hope all goes well.