Thread: hip x-ray

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default hip x-ray

I have been having hip pain for many years but it has been increasing so much that mast days I can hardly stand and sit. The Doctor had me get an x-ray. The results are svascular necrosis. I haven't heard from the Doctor yet, but thought someone might know what it is and any information would be great.
    SLE (6 years), Raynud's, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, bursitis, headaches

Thanks

Default Avascular Necrosis

I had avascular necrosis (AVN) of both hips. The term literally means, "bone death."

AVN is when the blood supply is cut off to the top of the femur near the hip joint. The bone dies and begins to crumble. The pain is unbelievable.

This condition is non-reversable. The only solution is "core decompression" if caught early, or hip replacement. My situation progressed quickly, so bilateral hip replacements and gastric bypass to drop a lot of weight fast, were the methods my orthopedic surgeon decided were in my best interest.

AVN requires open communication between you and your doctors. Ask a lot of questions. See if you are in the early stages and capable of employing early intervention methods.

Best wishes to you.

Thanks

Default HI, TERESA

Avascular necrosis is also called osteonecrosis and it can affect almost any bone, but the hips and shoulders are often the earliest affected. It happens when for some reason the blood supply to part of the bone is cut off. Like the rest of your body, your bones also need blood to survive; once the blood supply is cut off the bone begins to die. It can cause severe pain and disability.

Chronic use of steroids such as those prescribed for lupus increases your risk of AVN. Alcohol use, osteoporosis, arthritis, a previous hip fracture or dislocation , and other medical conditions like sickle cell anemia are also risk factors.

Usually AVN does not show up on a plain x-ray until it is in the more advanced stages, so early treatment techniques may not be an option for you at this point. Your doctor may recommend more tests such as MRI, CT scan or bone scan to determine how much bone damage there is.

Your doctor will probably refer you to an orthopaedic surgeon for further testing and treatment. Unfortunately, for this condition, the only real treatments are surgical. Only your doctor can determine whether you are a good candidate for hip replacement surgery.

If your doctor does recommend surgery, ask lots of questions. Make sure you understand exactly what is involved, and how much therapy and rehabilitation is required afterward.

Thanks

Default Thank you

Thank you both for the information.
    SLE (6 years), Raynud's, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, bursitis, headaches

Thanks

I have had pain in my left hip for about 8 months. My gp said it was from my monthly. I went to my rm and he did a x-ray and said it came back fine.I am still in pain almost every day. My sholders about 6 months and the put a shot of something in them and sent me for physical therapy and the last time i went 2hrs. later my son said mom your left arm is bigger than the other does it hurt? I was shocked called the dr.(gp)told her she had me come in and said i needed to go for more than 3 visits for 3 weeks (that is what it was the first time) i said forget it. i have lost some of the normal movement in both of my arms (shoulders). I would like for someone to tell me how to get a dr. to do a mri or ct or what ever. I have a problem with my lower back and the place between my shoulders and neck had x-ray and the rm dr. said it was scar tissue and it was inflamed. Well I thought it was from (no pitty please) the years of beettings i sufferd from my father. But know i am not sure with my shoulders and hip. can someone let me know how it afects the joints and if you can see scare tissue in an x-ray?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I do not have answers to your questions about scar tissue affecting your joints or showing up on X-Rays. Hopefully someone else here will know more about that than me.
    With reference to getting your doctor to order a MRI or CT Scan, that would probably depend upon how your HMO handles those things (if you are a member of an HMO). Usually, you ask your primary physican for a referral based upon the symptoms you are having. If you feel that it is imperative that you have these tests, then you must be aggressive in insisting that your doctor give you a referral for them.
    Joint and muscle pain are common in Lupus. More than 90 percent of people with SLE will experience joint and/or muscle pain. The major cause of joint pain in SLE is inflammation of the joints. The term for this is arthritis. In the affected joint, arthritis can cause: pain, swelling, tenderness, a feeling of warmth, and fluid collection. Pain in and around the joints is not always due to lupus arthritis. It also can be due to other medical disorders that may complicate or co-exist with SLE, including:
    fibromyalgia, avascular necrosis of bone, bursitis and tendonitis,
    other types of arthritis, and infection.
    Inflammation of skeletal muscle also may develop in people with SLE. This condition, called myositis, causes progressive weakness and loss of strength of the extremities.
    It is important that you do find out the cause of your pain so that treatment can begin. Keep us posted and I hope someone is able to answer your other questions.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default AVN

I was diagnosed in early stage II on my right hip and stage I on my left.
    I had to quit teaching taichi at the commuity centre. Had 2 core decompressions, which basically is drilling holes through the femur in hopes of getting a normal blood flow. This does not solve the problem but buys you time. I did have a total hip replacement in May 2001 on the right hip, which went very well except for my mishap with thrombosis and emergency shots of Warfarin around my belly button
    But the left hip has ever been so painful, the pain is not focused by the groin but more toward the inner thigh. They are waitting for a total colapse before getting me on the waiting list.
    Only time will tell.