Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disability

Thanks

Default Disability

I have been on medical disability from work since May. I think my Doctor may suggest that I go on permanent disability. Has anyone gone on disability? How hard was it to get approved? I heard that many people with Lupus get denied. Any info. would be helpful. Thanks!

Blessings,

ejtexan

Thanks

I tried to get on disability, I was denied. Do you have a good doctor that will back you? I didnt and thats one of the things that didnt help me.
    Good luck!

Thanks

I'm sorry you got denied. Yes, I believe my doctor will back me up so hopefully that will help. Thanks for the response!

Thanks

I am working on it now. I had my appointment at the social security office on 8/24. So, I'm waiting. They said it could take up to 5 months to get an answer.
    I USE TO SKINNY DIP...NOW I CHUNKY DUNK!

Thanks

I have been waging this war for 3 1/2 years. When it started I was in FL where the system is over burdened. I did not yet have my diagnosis although I had know for years. It took them a year to make a decision. They denied me. I apealed, after 9 more months, and a diagnosis they again denied me. The next step is to have a hearing with an administrative law judge. I waited 18 months for a court date at which time I moved to Iowa and had to start at the back of a much shorter line. 3 months later I missed my hearing date due to being hospitalized. I had letters from my doctors and my husband was prepared to go for me but the judge said he wanted to see me in person so now I am waiting for yet another court date.

This post is not meant to be discouraging, just to let you know that it may be a long hard road. My docotor has told me to keep plugging away tho, that if I don't get approved the system doesn't work. I have heard of Lupus patients being approved the first time without much hassle.

Thanks

Default Disability

I am on disability. I am home all day everyday. I have lupus (sle). It may depend on what type of lupus you have. I can't hardly walk. I cam straight from the hospital to 2 months later with disability.

Thanks

To All my wonderful friends...
    Can't we all get together and designate a group to schedule a Congressional visit and talk about this? It's ridiculous. We are, truly, disabled. We cannot function like we would choose to, all because of a disease that has taken so much from us. I'd be willing to go. Who else would? Please, can't we organize???? fight on, fight on, FIGHT ON!

Thanks

I belong to a group that's been lobbying Congress for over 10 years on behalf of breast cancer patients, to get a law passed protecting mastectomy patients from being sent home the same day of their surgery, since most insurance companies classify mastectomy as an out-patient procedure! To date we've gotten millions of signatures on petitions, support from people like Oprah and Barbara Walters, actresses like Suzanne Somers and Kate Jackson , and many others, AND WE STILL DON'T HAVE A LAW! Sorry, guys, I think our Congress is more concerned with protecting their paychecks than protecting people. And with the elections coming up in November, that's all many of them are thinking about right now. And unless your Congressperson sits on a House or Senate commitee, he or she has very little real influence anyway.

If you want to contact your senator or representative, you can go to www.house.gov or www.senate.gov to send an e-mail or get more information.

Thanks

While I think Marycain is right, I would be very very willing to do absolutely anything to help. Also, if you get some information on like the process that we would need to follow, let me know and I will post it on my Lupus website. I know my family would be very anxious to help also. That is important for us because sometimes we just can't do it ourselves. I happen to think that is one of the main reasons Lupus is so underpublicised, because we just have trouble activating!
    Kendra Isola, CLEAR Co-Founder

Thanks

my mom put in the paper work in april i think of 2004 by that october i already got the lump sum they give you the first time ...