Thread: Trouble focusing/concentrating

Thanks

Default Trouble focusing/concentrating

I have seen this come up a few times in other posts, and I just wondered if what I am going through qualifies as brain fog or something that comes with Lupus, or if I am just going a little nuts.

I work at a pretty high paced, high stress job. Up until about six months ago, I had a pretty good handle on it. Lately though, I feel like I can't get anything done, I am working in slow motion, and I cannot concentrate on one task for more than a few minutes. I get very easily distracted. I love my work, but I don't enjoy it anymore because the slower and less focused I am, the more behind I get, and then of course, the stress gets worse, and it is a nasty circle. My boss is exasperated with me lately too because I forget things I would never have forgotten in the past and I cannot be counted on to remember file details and things like I used to. Even my handwriting has gone downhill. It makes me really depressed sometimes. I sometimes think maybe I should just quit my job and make way for someone who could do better.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
    - Peach

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, you're right". - Mary Kay Ash

Thanks

Default Re: Trouble focusing/concentrating

Quote Originally Posted by peach224
    I have seen this come up a few times in other posts, and I just wondered if what I am going through qualifies as brain fog or something that comes with Lupus, or if I am just going a little nuts.

I work at a pretty high paced, high stress job. Up until about six months ago, I had a pretty good handle on it. Lately though, I feel like I can't get anything done, I am working in slow motion, and I cannot concentrate on one task for more than a few minutes. I get very easily distracted. I love my work, but I don't enjoy it anymore because the slower and less focused I am, the more behind I get, and then of course, the stress gets worse, and it is a nasty circle. My boss is exasperated with me lately too because I forget things I would never have forgotten in the past and I cannot be counted on to remember file details and things like I used to. Even my handwriting has gone downhill. It makes me really depressed sometimes. I sometimes think maybe I should just quit my job and make way for someone who could do better.

What do you all think?

Thanks.
    Hi Peach...
    I can relate to what your experiencing..here lately with me its been a real struggle to keep things in perspective. I've been totally unorganized & can't remember where I've put things to save my life. Its frustrating..I feel like I've got adult ADD. I don't work, but lordy could you imagine if I did..they would probably fire me after the 1st mistake.

Hopefully we'll start to have better days where things aren't so foggy Take care...

Keri

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Peach224 :lol:
    Yes, you have heard us speak many times about "Brain Fog" which is a symptom that most of us suffer from. It is an indication of Central Nervous System involvment in Lupus wherein we suffer from Cognitive Dysfunction. The Symptoms include almost all of those that you described: confusion, profound fatigue, difficulty in articulating thoughts, memory impairment & difficulty concentrating.
    These symptoms can come and go on their own or sometimes get better with some of the medications that we take, such as antimalarial drugs, tricyclic antidepressants or seratonin blockers, or DHEA.
    Cognitive Dysfunction is estimated to affect between 20 and 40% of SLE patients in some form. Psychologic profiles, such as the MMPI or the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale are often used in diagnosing dysfunction, but their results can be skewed by our medication and our extreme fatigue.
    Cognitive dysfunction seems to correlate to the presence and level of certain antibodies (anti-dsDNA, lymphocytoxic antibodies, anti-neuronal antibodies).
    So, it is not just in your head, it is a very real symptom of Lupus. Speak to your doctor about your symptoms so that a determination can be made about treatment.
    I wish you the best :lol:

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie