Thread: DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD DEET-FREE MOSQUITO REPELLANT

Thanks

Default DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD DEET-FREE MOSQUITO REPELLANT

Since we've had so much rain lately the bugs are out of control - I get eaten up alive every time I go out. Think maybe lupus makes our blood taste better - they don't seem to bother anybody else in my family but I feel like a mosquito smorgasbord. I'm allergic to DEET so I can't use most of the commercial things like OFF. I bought something called a mosquito plant to set outside - it's supposed to repel mosquitos but so far doesn't seem to help. Any ideas wouuld be appreciated - we have had several cases of West Nile virus in this area, and I sure don't want to be exposed to that!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I use "Natrapel". I purchase it at my local health food store. It is a plant-based, deet-free repellant and has been around for quite a while now!

I hope this helps
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default THANKS, SAYSUSIE

We don't have a health food store anywhere close, but I'll ask my sister to look - she lives in a bigger city. Thanks again.

Thanks

Have you ever tried Avon's Skin-so-Soft product? It works pretty well as a bug repelant.

Thanks

Default I USE IT SOMETIMES

if in an area where I know there are a lot of ticks - it seems to keep them away but I haven't noticed any effect on mosquitos - they seem to go for me no matter what I'm using.

Thanks

You must be way too sweet Marycain!!!!!!!

I have the same problem, I am allergic to deet also and I have never found anything myself so I will be watching the posts for suggestions also. I found those plants do absolutely nothing.....they aren't even nice looking either. I used to work up in Northern Manitoba where the mosquitoes are as big as bombers and when I used to walk with some of the community women they found it hilarious. I would have this swarm of all kinds of bugs (especially black flies) hovering over my head and they would have none. All the women loved to walk with me because they would get "their laugh of the day".

Thanks

My family doctor when I was a kid used to say to get lots of B vitamins to avoid mosquitos. I don't know if it helps or not I never tried it. I have a sister that believes that eating green beans does it for her. Her and God are the only ones who know why. My husband gets attacked and I can be right next to him and never get bitten. He perspires more then I do and I always thought that might be why he got bitten so much. Yellowjackets are attracted to him too. he hasn't found anything that keeps the bugs away either. Sorry I wasn't any help. Good Luck
    SLE (6 years), Raynud's, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, bursitis, headaches