Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone lost their fingernails???

Thanks

Default Has anyone lost their fingernails???

I hope someone answers this and can help. My fingernails are lifting on my right hand and don't know why. Is it the scleroderma, reynaud's or both?
    Barb

Thanks

Default Barb, I responded under your other post

The one about CTD

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Do you have any symptoms of psoriasis? This is also an auto-immune disease that some of us Lupus patients suffer with. This can cause pitting and/or lifting of the fingernails also.

Saysusie

Thanks

Default Got my finger nails, but losing my hair in clumps

i suffer from psoriasis and had no idea that this was something related to lupus - jees i need to find out more about this thing, i have terrible nails, they break they are all grainy and bumpy but thankfully they are still on my fingers, which is more than i can say for my hair... anyone else losing hair?

Thanks

My nails seem to be ok, they're still on my fingers as well. But my cuticles have become dry. I use cuticle oil and lotion to keep them moisturized. Maybe I just need a manicure. :? About the hair... Yes, my hair's been falling out since Ive been diagnosed march of this year. Its become very thin, but, its slowly growing back now. I know its vain of me to say but, the one thing that bothers me the most about SLE is my hairloss. I'm able to cope with the joint pains, headaches, fatigue, and the kidney nephritis. I miss my hair... :cry:
    "I've learned that when bad times come, you can let them make you bitter or use them to make you better."

Thanks

Default MINE GREW BACK CURLY

Between the lupus and the cytoxan, I lost a lot of my hair - the good news is it grew back as thick as ever, only now it's curly, which is weird because it was poker-straight before.

Thanks

:angel: Thanks Marycain for the good news. I'm trying to stay optimistic about it. I guess I'm just getting frustrated and impatient. I just want my hair to grow back... fuller... don't mind if it comes back curley. I always wanted curley hair.
    "I've learned that when bad times come, you can let them make you bitter or use them to make you better."

Thanks

Default losing fingernails

No, I don't have any symptoms of psoriasis. My grandmother had it for many years, only on elbows and pinky finger nuckles. Did I spell that right???? My younger brother has pretty severe psoriasis. I've never had any symptoms. My nails are not breaking, they're pretty long and my left hand is fine. I do have scleroderma up to and including my last nuckles and my fingers are fat. I do have severe Reynauds, winter/summer, you name it. It's been over 16 years now and I was wondering if there's anyone out there who's suffered from Reynaud's for that long and maybe it's a symptom of that.

Thanks

I've had the Reynauds for over six years - calcium channel blockers are not an option for me because they drop my blood pressure too much - my doctor has recommended a surgical procedure but I'm afraid to have it done. My doctor has even tried nitroglycerine cream on my hands, but it gives me a splitting headache, so it's a last resort. Right now I take 400 IU Vitamin E with selenium daily, and take an amino-acid supplement called l-arginine - both of these were recommended by my rheumatologist for the Reynauds, and control it pretty well as long as I'm careful about cold exposure.

Sounds like we might have a similar pattern - my technical diagnosis is lupus with scleroderma overlap, specifically CREST syndrome - ny doctor calls it lupuderma. So far I have very little skin hardening, but I do have the "sausage fingers" as I call them, and the clubbing at the fingertips - I've lost a couple of fingernails but they grew back. The Reynauds and the terrible reflux problems have so far been the worst aspects of CREST for me - according to the docs I have some heart valve damage but it doesn't bother me enough to notice. The Reynauds is a major pain - I can't even get things out of the fridge without gloves, and I've gotten several bad fingertip ulcers in the past.

The best protective hand lotion I've found is Camille Beckman Glycerine Hand Therapy -it's a bit pricy but does wonders to protect your hands.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Default how typical

i dont believe this! i have spent since 1992 trying to overcome cancer.. had more radiation than most people have had hot dinners.. had no hair for years"" finally for the first time since i was 28 i have long hair again.. and now its falling out! i guess that makes me sound pretty vain doesnt it... im short and fat and nothing special to look at, my only redeeming features are, pretty long blonde hair, pretty blue eyes and my mothers great skin.. so now my skin looks like a lepers, my eyes are dull and grey and my hair is falling out! t hats just great! think i'll become a recluse

hugs
    xxx