Thread: Dermographia and Lupus?

Thanks

Default Dermographia and Lupus?

Hi everyone I just was sitting here reading up on lupus since this may be what I have. the doc is calling it UCTD but is treating it as lupus and I have positive ana.

My symptoms are primarily joint pains and stiffness which started in Jan. But a few years ago I started having a problem with dermographia which basically is skin writing. If someting is pressure on my skin it developes a hive. For example if you took a stick or something and put pressre on my skin and "wrote" something it would show up in the form of a hive. The derm never could figure out what it might be. I wonder if it has anything to do with lupus?

Thanks

My skin did that for a long time too. It was before the lupus diagnosis and the derm and I both thought it was an allergic reaction ...she put me on prednisone for it and it went away ...now I suspect it was a flare but we didn't know it but the prednisone took care of it like it would if I take prenisone for the lupus. My face swells and I have very sore muscles and some joints and other weird symptoms too numerous to mention.

I hope you feel better soon

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Uticaria (transient eruption of circumscribed edematous and usually itchy swellings of the skin - the other names given are nettle rash, hives or weals) is not uncommon in auto-immune diseases, such as lupus! 30% of lupus patients have some form of uticaria and dermographia is included in the list of uticaria symptoms. Almost all hives fall into two categories: ordinary urticaria (ordinary hives) and physical urticaria (physical hives). The term physical urticaria refers to hives produced by direct physical stimulation of the skin. By far the most common form is “dermographia,” which literally means “skin writing.” This is an exaggerated form of what happens to anyone when their skin is scratched or rubbed: a red welt appears at the line of the scratch. In dermographia, raised, itchy red welts with adjacent flares appear wherever the skin is scratched or where belts and other articles of clothing rub against the skin, causing mast cells to leak histamine.

So, what you are experiencing is not that uncommon for Lupus patients or others suffering from auto-immune diseases.

Hope This Helps
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi,
    If my Son gets a scratch or a bump/bruise on his face, 99% of the time he gets a Lupus spot where that mark was. I don't know why.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Lupus patients are very susceptible to bruising. In fact, some of my bruises turned into black spots which took years to go away completely.
    Our susceptibility is most commonly due to steroid use. It is almost universal in people who have been on steroids for a long time. Lupus patients who are not on steroids, in fact, have no major problems with bruising, though there is a rare condition in lupus known as thrombocytopenia (low platelets). If your sun is bruising and it is a major feature and if he is not on steroids, then his platelet count should be checked by his doctor.

I hope that I've answered your question. If not, let me know

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

IT may also be DISCOID LUPUS which affects the skin with alligator type skin that break out into leasions theat refuse to go away.

A simple BIOPSY can determine if in fact it is DISCOID LUPUS.

STJAMES
    MY GOAL IN LIFE IS TO BE AS GOOD A PERSON AS MY DOG ALREADY THINKS I AM.....