Thread: 3rd year student with lupus

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default 3rd year student with lupus

Hi, I'm a 23 year old student who has had sle(nephritis) for 10 years now. Living with it has been hell in the past few years. Unfortunately i am the only one in my family that i know of who has ever had sle. I find it increasingly difficult to cope with studies, manage a weekend job(which has me working till 22h30 at night) and maintain good health. I often find myself lagging behind in my studies due to the stress that i place on my body. So, fortunately i will have this discussion forum to turn to in future!! thanx guys

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Morpheus :lol:
    Welcome to our forum. You mentioned that you were a student. I am sure that you are aware that our illness is considered a disability and, therefore, means that you can take advantage of the services offered by your school's disabled student union. You can have a "note- taker" for classes that you are unable to attend, teachers must make accommodations for you etc. Check with you disabled student union (or whatever it is called at you institution) to see what is available for you so that you do not continue to suffer and fall behind.
    In the meantime, we are here to provide you with information, offer you support, understanding and to just let you know that you are not alone!

Again...Welcome
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Morpheus,
    i really feel for you. I was a Dustrict Nurse and received ill health retirement last year-I just couldn't do it anymore. Don't be too hard on yourself. Life is difficult for us, try to pace yourself

Val

Thanks

Itried to talk my sister, who also has SLE, into using a note taker while she was getting her Master's degree, but she never did and just suffered through the pain and really pushed herself. Her body behaved ok, but after she graduated and started her "real" job, her body just majorly flared. So, do take care of yourself now, too.

Before I had Lupus, I was a note taker and tutor for a disabled student in college - it was a great job and I met a great friend by taking notes for him!

Missy