Thread: If get methotrexate injections please respond

Thanks

Default If get methotrexate injections please respond

I have a question. I'm a bit confused. I started on methotrexate injections 2 wks now. My hubby was taught to give them to me subcutaneously (into the fatty parts). My doctor says they can be given subcu or into the muscle but that it doesn't matter but in the fat is less painful (which I prefer). I have a good friend with lupus who has been taking the injections for years only she gets hers in the muscle. She said her doctor has always done it that way and never gave her an option. I have another good friend with RA who is a nurse. She did some research and says that it must be given into the muscle, I only heard this second hand. I plan on calling her to see why. (by the way my 2 friends have the same rheumy as eachother) I on the otherhand did my own research on the internet John Hopkins website and it said methotrexate can be given orally (pills) or subcutaneous injections. It didn't even mention giving it in the muscle. I'm curious how those of you who do get injections get them and what your doctor has said about it. Is one better than the other? My sis who's husband is a doc, says it's a matter of absorbtion. But that depends on the drug, some cause damage to tissue. I don't know where methotrexate fits into this. I didn't actually talk to him yet either. (He's a cardiologist and doesn't really deal with methotrexate) Please respond I'm really curious.
    For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for good and not evil to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks

Default What does the package insert on your vials say?

It should mention the proper injection procedure for the drug - if the medicine didn't come with an insert, call your pharmacist and ask - they are often the best source for information about your medications.

I only took methotrexate for a little while as it didn't work well for me, but I always gave myself the shots sub-q. My doctor did tell me to watch out for any injection site reactions and to be very careful not to accidentally inject into a blood vessel.

Thanks

I was first put on the pill form of metho, that made my stomach really sick, So then I started the injections, It really worked well for me. I was on the injections for over a year and have just (within the last month) am trying to see if I can stop the methotrexate.

But, I saw FABOULOUS results wit hthe self-injections with NO side effects.
    the pill form made me really sick to my stomach

hope this helps
    An eye for an eye only makes for a very blind world.

Thanks

lula2ya,

I also know it is VERY IMPORTANT to take folic acid while on the metho.
    Your Dr. probably told you this, but mine REALLy had stressed the issue.

Also, my Dr. had the nurse actually teach me the proper way to do the injection and made me do one right there in front of her.

It wasn't as awful as it first seemed like, the needle was really tiny, and I guess i had enough "padding" :lol: to not really even feel it.
    An eye for an eye only makes for a very blind world.

Thanks

My hubby gives it to me into the muscle, both the doctor and pharmacist recommended it, although I don't know why that is. I don't think it's a big difference actually.

I take Leukovoran 10 hours after injection as per my doctor because of what was posted as well with folic acid and iron stores etc...

I have found the combo to be quite good, better than other drugs they have tried me on but I have heard the opposite. It's all individual.

Good luck!!! I hope it helps you.
    Love, Laugh and Live Hard...