Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DO YOU THINK LUPUS WOULD GET MORE ATTENTION IF IT HIT MEN

Thanks

Default DO YOU THINK LUPUS WOULD GET MORE ATTENTION IF IT HIT MEN

AS OFTEN AS IT DOES WOMEN? Not that I'm a cynic about the drug industry (laugh), but if this disease primarily affected men, don't you think they would be trying harder to find a cure. Apparently lupus isn't as interesting as ice-cream sundaesif we go by Good Morning Anerica's priorities. Just wondering, if the drug companies spent as much time developing drugs for lupus as they do for ED, would they have a cure by now.

Thanks

I think that it would get more attention if Lupus affected mainly men. Has anyone else noticed that when men are sick or in pain they complain alot? Us women, we just hold it in, suffer in silence alot. We don't complain. At least I know that's how it is in MY house. When my husband is sick or hurt, he spend the entire day in bed, whining. Then there is me, trying to run the house and take care of the kids while I'm sick. "Suck it up," I tell myself. It's not like I can call into work sick! Life just doesn't seem fair for us, does it? (Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now!)

Thanks

I don't know if that is true of all men Atedj or just yours, cound you be over generalizing just a bit? My husband was very ill this winter, started having major joint pain, lost over 20 lbs, exhausted and finally came down with this horrible head pain that was with him day and night. He looked like hell and never complained. He got up and went to work every day, continued to look after me without even so much as a peep and did most of the cooking and cleaning. I was really worried about him and had to hog tie him to get him to the doctor, well actually 3 doctors. He was dx. finally with Giant Cell Arthritis and put on a very high dose of prednisone. Now his is fine and still never complains. Not a single peep about the effects of prednisone. So, you see I have to disagree with you.

beautifulbeluga

Thanks

I know it isn't true of ALL men... But, a LOT of men do complain a lot when they are sick... especially with something silly like a cold...

I think that Diane Sawyer should be ashamed, frankly...

I am actually thinking of writing a letter to GMA and ABC about that... a 6 minute piece on a major illness in between what turned into 30 minutes of talking about ice cream!!!! Journalistic integrity, my... patootie!!!
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Default WHOA, GUYS

I didn't intend my original post to suggest men complain more - just that the medical profession and the drug companies don't always give the same attention to women's health issues as men's. The major drug companies spend millions developing new drugs to treat erectile dysfunction in men because it's a money maker for them while a million plus children die every year from malaria, tb and other treatable diseases because no medicines are available, because there's no profit in developing cheap new drugs to treat them.

I think too often women are overlooked by the medical profession because they don't take us seriously. If a 40 year old man shows up in a ER complaining of chest pain and shortness of breath, he will 99% of the time be given an EKG and cardiac workup - this happens in less than 40% of cases where a woman has similar symptoms. Not just ranting here; unfortunately this has been documented in numerous medical studies. Which is why women have to take charge of their own health care and not be afraid to ask questions.

Thanks

Sorry didn't mean to get into men-bashing. Definately wasn't my intention. I think I was just grumpy this morning But I really do think that women tend to hold things in more. I heard a statistic once that a higher percentage of women die of heart attacks than men because they tend to ignore warning signs while men will go to the doctor for a check-up. Why do we do that?

Thanks

YOU GO SOLE SINGER, WE WILL BACK YOU!!!!!!!
    Your friend in Texas, Jessica

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by atedj
    Sorry didn't mean to get into men-bashing. Definately wasn't my intention. I think I was just grumpy this morning But I really do think that women tend to hold things in more. I heard a statistic once that a higher percentage of women die of heart attacks than men because they tend to ignore warning signs while men will go to the doctor for a check-up. Why do we do that?
    I think it's a variety of things... We tend to be caregivers, so when something happens to US we feel like we should be able to handle it and still take care of everyone else, too. I also think that even though it isn't the 50's anymore and we aren't TAUGHT to be this way as much, there is still something inside of every woman that says "Don't complain". No matter how woman's lib you are, I think it's still there. I also think that in addition to that voice, since it isn't the 50's anymore, we tend to try and prove ourselves more, because we HAVE always been seen as weaker, so we don't say anything to appear stronger.

Also, I'm not so sure that men go to the doctor more on their own, I think we women, as caregivers, tend to push men more to go.

I think that each and every woman, no matter how liberated, and no matter how much we try and fight it, I think we all have a little bit of that woman from the dark ages inside of us who doen't speak unless spoken to. And I'm not sure if it's an instinct, or if it's something that has been learned, even now in our "enlightened" age... But I do believe that underneath everything it is still there... At least a little bit.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pinkjmf
    YOU GO SOLE SINGER, WE WILL BACK YOU!!!!!!!
    YAY!! You know, I think if enough of us sent an email or a letter about the audacity of that piece, that something might be done about it!

Thanks

I really, really do NOT think Lupus would get more money or attention if it affected men more than women. I actually think, for one, we don't have a beloved spokesperson that is famous and well liked. That is something that people, unfortunately seem to respond to. And also, it is such a difficult and confusing disease that people just don't understand. We haven't been represented in the media or otherwise so people don't tune it.

That's just what I believe. We need a spokesperson, someone well known and well liked. Not JUST Billy Bob Thorton's first wife... and with much respect to her and she really has done her part to get the word out there, but we need someone currently famous.
    Love, Laugh and Live Hard...