Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got diagnosed so fast...

Thanks

Default Got diagnosed so fast...

I suddenly became very sick during March '06 (had frequent high fevers, swollen/painful lymph nodes, loss of appetite, weight loss, bodyaches, fatigue, headaches, weakness, swelling in my fingers, and some hairloss). I visited my family doctor twice during this time, and she prescribed me 2 different antiobiotics which didnt help me at all. She thought I had a bad case of the flu. I had bloodtests done, but nothing was found. Then I developed a red rash across my face and behind both my ears. I immediately went to a dermatologist, and she quickly suggested that I may have lupus. She gave me some cream to put on the rashes. She also took a skin biopsy of the rash behind my ear to see if it was lupus. I also had bloodtests done. All the tests came back positive for SLE. She suggested I see a rheumie, so I did. After more tests (blood and urine) it also came back positive for SLE. Protein was found in my urine, so my rheumie suggested I see a nephrologist. After more tests, he wanted me to have a kidney biopsy to see how bad the lupus affected my kidneys. My nephrologist said it was detected right away, Stage 1 nephritis, and I started on CellCept right away.

:? All of this happened in a month... Did anyone else get diagnosed right away with SLE? I know there are others who haven't been diagnosed yet or took months or even years to be correctly diagnosed. Does that mean I had SLE already, but the symptoms hadn't flared up yet until now?
    :?
    "I've learned that when bad times come, you can let them make you bitter or use them to make you better."

Thanks

Well, once I got to a doctor that didn't think that my albumin was at 0 (when it's supposed to be at like 5) because the water in my body was diluting it and thatmy kidneys were fine and that I just needed to lose weight... It took them a week to diagnose me... I wasted 6 months on that stupid woman for her to tell me that I was fine when she was literally killing me.
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

No...it took me almost a year to get a diagnosis. But, the fact that you were diagnosed so quickly gives me hope. Maybe Lupus is being taken much more seriously by the medical world and doctors are now willing to start testing for it immediately: as opposed to telling us (like Solesinger) that something else is wrong and almost killing us or telling us that it is "all in our heads!"

I hope that your quick diagnosis is a sign of things to come!!!

I wish you the best
    Saysusie

Thanks

I was diagnosed rather quickly this year. I first went in to the doctor in January and got my diagnosis the first of April. But I think the only reason that I did was because by February I just knew in my gut that I had Lupus and REALLY pushed the doctors to get tests done and referrals. I was lucky to know what Lupus was and what the symptoms where since I was tested for it repeatedly as a teenager. Still even with that knowledge, it took me six months to put everything together for myself. Still at the time when I was in extreme pain, three months felt like FOREVER!!!!
    I'm glad that you were diagnosed quickly. That's the way it should be!

Thanks

I too was dx in a month. I had had problems for a long time but never said anything to anyone. It was my gyn that first brought it up. I went to my gp, not telling her what the gyn said, then she brought up lupus too. Ran the bloodwork, and had a rheumy in a week. This was nov. of 2005. I am greatful, but it seems like I have gotten worse since the dx. Even with all of my meds, my labs keep going up. I'm getting ready to start metho inj. so maybe that will help.
    I USE TO SKINNY DIP...NOW I CHUNKY DUNK!

Thanks

I had weird symptoms on and off starting in college, but I never took them seriously. I had already been diagnosed with endometriosis, and was taking Lupron for that, so I just thought it was side effects of the Lupron. I was also taking low-dose steroids for allergic asthma, which probably kept the lupus from flaring up. When I started getting really sick - I was in the middle of a huge case with very high stress - 16 hour workdays and tons of travel, so I thought it was just stress. I went to the doctor several times because I was so tired constantly and my joints ached like I was 80 years old. He laughed it off and told me I was tired because I was severely anemic, and my joints hurt because I was driving and flying too much.

When the nausea, non-stop vomiting and weight loss (30 pounds in less than a month) started, he finally admitted there was a problem but blamed it on my gallbladder. The surgeon he referred me to was the one who sent me to a rheumatologist. He told me immediately that I had an autoimmune disorder of some kind because my ANA levels were so high, but I also had high levels of the antibody for scleroderma, so he wasn't sure which disease it was. They finally decided I have both, but since I have more symptoms from the lupus (CNS and kidney involvement and some other funn things) , lupus is the ICD10 code they use for insurance.

Thanks

It took about 4 months and then I was diagnosed. I started to have symptoms in the fall of 89, they thought I had mono, was referred to Children's in Pittsburgh, had a bone marrow bx in Dec. 89 to rule out childhood leukemia and by Feb 1990 I had been hospitalized with Fever, letheragy, swollen lymph nodes, abd swelling and was diagnosed during my 9 day hospital admission.
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Thanks

Last year I got sick. I notice it in June of 2005. I lost 50 pds in one month, my appetite change. I started to hate the smell of food. I began to walk very slow, my knees were hurting, my eyes had swollen, my face was swollen. I was in a different state. I was in so much pain my brother had to fly me home in December. I began to take bloodwork. My pcp told me to get to the hospital asap. I was severly anemic, low white blood count and had pneumonia. I was diagnosed in 30 days. That's how long I had to stay in the hospital. At least there is a dianosis.

Thanks

Hi. It literally took years for me to get diagnosed, because the disease for whatever reason progressed slowly. The doctors would only look at the blistery rash on my hands and say, oh, you just have Eczema. Yeah right. The Imuran that I am on now cleared it right up. Prednisone also cleared it up immediately. The Imuran has replaced the Prednisone, becaue I refuse to take that drug. I consider it to be to dangerous. I also take Plaquenil and Sulindac (Clinoril). I guess you have to get lucky and get a doctor that is knowledgeable and cares about your health etc. Hugs, Kathleen
    Live one day at a time: It's easier that way

Dx with SLE in 1994
    Dx with Sjogrens 1994
    Dishydrotic Eczema 1974
    Severe Osteo-Arthritis

Meds:
    Imuran 125mg
    Plaquenil 400mg
    Sulindac (Clinoril) 400mg
    Soma prn up to 4 times a day
    Darvacet prn

Thanks

Default quick dx

I too was dx quickly. In Feb I had a major flare that I attributed to strep or something. My pmp treated it with antibiotics. I continued to get worse with constant intense headaches, high fever, swollen glands ..... I went to the ER 3 times during a two week period. They did a lot of tests and gave me pain pills for the headaches. I was hoping to get admitted, but was sent home. Finally St Lukes admitted me and ran a lot of blood tests during my week stay there. I think the infectious disease doc figured out the lupus. I am very grateful to St Lukes for admitting me and getting a dx where my pmp and other ER visits were of no help. I am now on Cellcept and Hydroxychloroquine and see a Rhummy. My symptoms prior to the major flare were minimal, but now that I think back I can see my tiredness and joint pain as symptoms of the lupus.