Thread: Newly Diagnosed with Lupus/FM

Thanks

Default Newly Diagnosed with Lupus/FM

I have been undergoing test for almost a year now. CT scans, Pet scan, chest x-rays and numerous labs. I feel down at times that this seems to get me nowhere except they are still saying it is probably lupus and I have FM. I have had a rash on my arm off and on and for the past few days the rash is on the chest area, abdomen and lower back. Will see Rheumatolgist again on Thursday. Is red rash, itchy at times in different areas a common occurance of lupus? I am presently not taking any meds since that is my choice although he has wanted to start me on prednisone or plaquenil. I guess like so many, I feel at a loss and don't know where to turn. Today, I came across this site... So good to know there are others to share with about this disease. Also, my ANA, Sed Rate, and C-Reactive protein are all positive...not sure what that means. Prayers to all who share this site...

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Gail;
    Yes, rashes are quite common with LUPUS. There are the two classic rashed: The Butterfly Rash and the Discoid Rash. The Butterfly Rash is usually found across the cheeks of the face and the bridge of the nose. The Discoid Rash is usually coin-shaped or oval in shape and they tend to be red and raised and can become scaly. They can appear anywhere on the body that is exposed to the sun. You mentioned that you were also diagnosed with the condition Fibromyalgia Syndrome (FM). This condition is common in patients with LUPUS. The most common symptoms of FM are joint and muscle pain (especially in the jaw, neck and shoulders); painful muscle cramps or spasms, muscle weakness, sleep disturbances, functional bowel symptoms, numbness, tingling, bruning, itching sensations in the limbs and extremeties, profound fatigue, headaches, anxiety, memory loss and difficulty in concentrating.
    Be diligent about your medications because the symptoms of FM are similar to those of LUPUS...but the medications that help those symptoms for LUPUS can worsen the symptoms of FM. Fibromyalgia is best treated with NSAIDs and other agents to relieve the pain. Other medications can be used as well as aerobic exercise.
    Your ANA, Sed Rate and C-Reactive Protiens are lab tests and the results all indicate that you may have a positive diagnosis for LUPUS. You need to satisfyat least 4 out of 11 criteria before you can be diagnosed with LUPUS. Of the 11 criteria, 7 relate to symptoms and 4 relate to lab tests. The ANA test is used as a screening test for LUPUS, 95% of people with SLE have a positive ANA (however, FM patients also have a positive ANA) Here are the 11 criteria:
    Malar Rash...........................rash over the cheeks and nose
    Discoid Rasch.......................raised red patches
    Photosensitivity...................resulting in increased skin rashes
    Oral Ulcers...........................in nose or mouth
    Arthritis................................Non-erosive in 2 or more joints
    Serositis..............................Pleuritis or pericarditis
    Renal Disorder.................... Protein in the urine
    Neurologic Disorder............ Seizures, convulsions or psychosis
    Hematologic Disorder......... Hemolytic anemia or leukopenia
    ANA.................................... Positive for antinuclear antibodies
    Immunologic Disorder........ Positive anti-double stranded anti-DNA test, positive anti-Smtest, positive antiphospholipid antibody such as anticardiolipin, or false positive syphillis test (VDRL).

I hope that I have been helpful. Please let me know if you need any more information. We are here to listen and to help in any way that we can!
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Lupus/FM

Hi Saysusie and thank you ever so much for your reply. Wow, you taught me so much. I did see my Rheumatologist yesterday and he said the rash was Lupus related but still wants a derma consult just in case. Said they may biopsy it. They seem to always have to rule out other things since new symtoms keep popping up. Also, have inflammation of the right lung ~~ I guess this too is part of the autoimmune disease. I am very happy to be a part of this board. It is better to educate ourselves...brings such peace.
    Blessings
    Gail

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

:lol: You are more than welcome!!
    Keep me posted about your lab tests!

Saysusie