Thread: FOR YOU CAT LOVERS ON THE FORUM - JUST HAD TO SHARE THIS

Thanks

Default FOR YOU CAT LOVERS ON THE FORUM - JUST HAD TO SHARE THIS

It's too funny. I feed and shelter several stray cats in the neighborhood - have caught and neutered all of them so they don't keep breeding, but they are too feral to be housepets. They know my schedule and show up like clockwork to be fed twice a day. This evening one of the female cats showed up with what I thought was a kitten - when I went to look - it's a little possum! This cat has been spayed so she never had kittens, but I guess the maternal instinct must be there anyway. Maybe she thinks it's a really ugly kitten. The other cats don't seem to mind so I guess I don't either - just wish I knew how this odd couple got together.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

That is too funny. I wonder what she'll do when the possum grows up to be bigger than she is. Also, I've heard that possums sometimes kill and eat cats. So, maybe she is the beginning of a new era of "Can't we Just all get along?" like the lion and the lamb!!

Thanx for sharing that :lol:
    Saysusie

Thanks

Great story . Animals can be so funny. I adopted two abandoned kittens, thinking that my 'barn kitty' might take them under her paw and teach them what they needed to know about the world. NOT. She did not want to have anything to do with them. However, my westhighland terrier decided that they were her kitties and looked after them. One day when we had some friends with kids over, the kids were holding and petting the kittens, and the dog was going to have none of it. She marched over, took the kittens in her mouth ( 1 at a time ) and hauled them off to 'safety'. This having been the case, last winter when I got a 6 wk rottweiler puppy, I figured my westie would adopt him too. NOPE. However, the kittens, now grown to cats, stepped in and would follow him around and comfort him when he was lonely and play with him. They still play, and now he is huge. Pretty funny stuff. I give up trying to figure out what they will do next, and just sit back and enjoy the show.

Thanks

Love that story! Picturing a kitty whose possom "offspring" grows up to be bigger than she. Bless you for caring for these cats, and especially for neutering them so they don't multiply exponentially.

I do cat rescue, and my story... Two of my male silver tabbies are very nurturing types. So when I got a new batch of kittens rescued off the street who'd been separated from their mother a bit too early, these guys allowed the kittens to pretend-suckle them until they grew out of it. They didn't get milk of course, so had to be fed canned food, but it was cute how they improvised.
    i love the smell of doughnuts in the morning. it's the smell of... victory!

Thanks

Default I FEEL VERY STRONGLY ABOUT RESPONSIBLE PET OWNERSHIP -

Pet overpopulation is completely preventable, and it breaks my heart when I think about the millions of pets who have to be euthanized every year. I wish I could make everyone get the message that responsible pet ownership includes spaying or neutering. I love puppies and kittens, but there are plenty in the animal shelters just waiting to be adopted without bringing more into the world to be abandoned.

A friend of mine went down to New Orleans after Hurricame Katrina to help with animal rescue - sadly, for every animal they were able to save, another twenty were lost. Also, many human lives were lost because pet owners refused to abandon their animals. My friend still has nightmares about what happened down there. Her experiences in New Orleans got me started on a new crusade - lobbying Comgress to pass legislation providing for companion animals to be evacuated too. I've written dozens of letters and e-mails. Some federal legislation has been passed, but most of the states haven't implemented it yet. So let your congressman know how you feel about this issue! Personally, I can't imagine leaving any of my "furbabies" behind and I know many of you feel the same way.

Thanks

Too funny! It's like the cat and the mouse that live in the same cage or the snake and the mouse! Hopefully as the possum grows they continue to love each other :lol:
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Thanks

Default I JUST HOPE THE POSSUM DOESN'T OUTGROW HER FOSTER MOM

too quickly. This cat is pretty large - I think she's got some maine coon somewhere, so maybe the possum won't get too more bigger than she is. I hope the possum grows up thinking it's a cat so it won't be tempted to hurt the kitties as it gets bigger. Talk about an identity crisis!