Thread: Chlorine

Thanks

Default Chlorine

Hi,
    Has anyone ever had an outbreak from chlorine?
    My son swam in chlorinated water for 3 days in a row. Now he has a light brown, scaly rash on the top of his head and his hair is falling out.
    I think it has something to do with the chlorine, but the Dermotolist said no it's his lupus.
    If he still has the rash in 3 weeks the Dermotolist would like to see him. So this is left up to me to wonder what caused it.
    If anyone has had this happen to them, please let me know.
    THANKS,
    Kelly

Thanks

Default Jeez, this is a new one

Wish I could offer some help, but I've never seen that reaction from chlorine. But if your son was swimming in an outdoor swimming pool, that much sun exposure could certainly trigger a lupus flare.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi
    I have to agree with Marycain and your doctor. I've never heard of this reaction from chlorinated pools. However, even a little sun exposure for lupus patients can have dramatic results. I would guess that, if he has been in the pool for three days, he has not really been keeping his head covered and it has been getting a lot of sun exposure. Additionally, many people do not realize that, because of reflection, sun exposure, while in the pool, is increased even more so than if he were just standing outside in the sun.
    I hope that you are able to find some relief for him and try to remember that every part of his body must be protected from the sun at all times. I know that this may not be much fun for him when he is in the pool, but it will help to avoid some of the aftermath of sun exposure.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Would it be possible for him to use the pool late in the day, perhaps at dusk? Swimming is wonderful exercise b/c it works the muscles and relieves the joints.
    i love the smell of doughnuts in the morning. it's the smell of... victory!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Yes, absolutely!
    In fact, swimming is how I get my daily exercise and I wait until 5:30 pm or 6:30 pm to get into the pool. Even at that, I STILL slather myself with sunscreen with a minimum SPF of 45. I wear a skull cap when I do my laps to protect my head. However, there are several types hair masks with sunscreen in them that you can put on his hair before he gets into the water. They do two things, keeps his hair moisturized so the chlorine does not strip too much moisture away and keeps his scalp somewhat protected. I use "Planet Spa's Mediterranean Olive Oil conditioning hair mask" from AVON. There are many others on the market! He can rinse it out of his hair when he gets out of the water!!

I hope that this is helpful

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions. I will look for something to protect his head.
    It helps alot! I'm new at this, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

I thought I was doing ok when we went to the water park. We purchased indoor water passes, but the day we were leaving we thought we would check out the outdoor waterpark and I guess that was a bad idea. We were only out in the sun for a couple hours and he was wearing sunscreen.

Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks

Default DID YOUR DOCTOR WARN YOU ABOUT SUN EXPOSURE?

Unfortunately, a lot of doctors assume you already know so they forget to warn you. I know it's really hard when you have kids because they want to do things like regular kids, but sun exposure is a no-no for anyone with lupus. Just a brief exposure can trigger a flare or a severe rash. Plus most people with lupus are more prone to sunburn because of the medicines we take and the disease itself. Even the sun coming in through a car window can cause problems, so year-round sunscreen and protective clothing are a must.It's not fun, but it's really the only thing you can.

Thanks

We used to have a hot tub and we first used Bromine as the water purifier in it. I had a terrible reaction to it ...rash and itching etc etc ....when we switched to chlorine it was fine. My thought would be that if the bromine does it for some then the chlorine could also be a trigger couldn't it?