Thread: Lupus related tests (mostly scan related not bloodwork)

Thanks

Default Lupus related tests (mostly scan related not bloodwork)

I know I'll ask my dr's this on Monday & Tuesday, but just out of curiosity.... if you've had any of the following tests: EEG, SPECT, PET, or MRS were you taking immune suppressants at the time of testing?

(there was probably a better area in the forum for me to post this question-- sorry, I can only find an edit post option, not a delete post option)

Thanks

Default HAD ALL OF THOSE BOTH ON AND OFF IMMUNOSUPPRESANTS

PLUS EMG, NERVE BIOPSY. ANGIOGRAM. TONS OF ULTRASOUNDS, CARDIAC CATH, BONE SCANS, ETC.

IF THE QUESTION IS WHETHER YOUR TEST RESULTS WOULD BE AFFECTED BY THESE MEDS, I DON'T THINK SO WITH SCANS, ALTHOUGH THEY CERTAINLY AFFECT YOUR BLOODWORK. yOUR EEG MIGHT BE AFFECTED BY STEROIDS OR ANTI-SEIZURE MEDS BECAUSE THEY AFFECT YOUR SEIZURE RESPONSE.

PET AND SPECT SCANS ARE LOOKING FOR LESIONS OR ABNORMALITIES OR BLOOD FLOW PROBLEMS - I THINK MOST OF THESE WOULD PROBABLY SHOW UP REGARDLESS OF MEDS.
    PREDNISONE AND IV STEROIDS LIKE SOLU-MEDROL REDUCE PRESSURE, SWELLING, AND INFLAMMATION IN THE BRAIN, WHICH MIGHT AFFECT BRAIN SCAN RESULTS.

SINCE NONE OF THESE TESTS ARE INVASIVE, THERE WOULDN'T BE ANY PROBLEM WITH DOING THEM WHILE YOU'RE ON IMMUNOSUPPRESSIVE THERAPY. MOST DOCS ARE RELUCTANT TO DO INVASIVE TESTS LIKE LP OR MYELOGRAM ON IMMUNOSUPPRESSED PATIENTS BECAUSE OF RISK OF INFECTION.