Thread: Hello I'm new here

Thanks

Default Hello I'm new here

Hello everyone, my name is Lu. I have a wonderful husband and 3 grown daughters. I was dx with MCTD; lupus/RA/polymyositis Oct 2004. My youngest daughter who is now 18 also has MCTD;lupus with raynauds and arthritis. She was dx in 2002. She does way better than me and manages to only have to take plaquenil and an occasional ibuprofin. I was very ill 2 years ago and am doing much better now, I'm off the prednisone and only take methotrexate injections now. Lupus wise I feel okay but am currently dealing with a stomach issue. It could be my gallbladder or possibly the methotrexate. I just wanted to introduce myself. Blessings
    For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for good and not evil to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks

Default HI LULA2YA,

Welcome Sister Lula2ya,

Thanks for stoppin' in and saying hey, you have found a wonderful place to find fellowship, nurturing and encouragement. I hope that you will hurry back and I believe you will find the greatest folks on earth, hang out here!! So settle in and in no time you'll have many new friends.

I am not familiar with MCTD (what is it?). I am curious.

Much love,
    Browneyedgirl

"I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet, when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown
    "I believe that friends are quiet angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly." - unknown

Thanks

Mixed Connective Tissue Disease = bottom line is Lupus but a mixture.
    For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans for good and not evil to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11

Thanks

Default Re: Hello I'm new here

Quote Originally Posted by Lula2ya
    Hello everyone, my name is Lu. I have a wonderful husband and 3 grown daughters. I was dx with MCTD; lupus/RA/polymyositis Oct 2004. My youngest daughter who is now 18 also has MCTD;lupus with raynauds and arthritis. She was dx in 2002. She does way better than me and manages to only have to take plaquenil and an occasional ibuprofin. I was very ill 2 years ago and am doing much better now, I'm off the prednisone and only take methotrexate injections now. Lupus wise I feel okay but am currently dealing with a stomach issue. It could be my gallbladder or possibly the methotrexate. I just wanted to introduce myself. Blessings

Hi Lula2ya,

Sorry to hear about the "gut stuff" as my dr calls it. I was on mtrx for several months. As for the joint pain from Lupus I have never felt better; however, the mtrx had an adverse effect on my lungs and gave me a persistant cough and my dr stopped the injections. I did not have and problems with my stomach though. My daughter has Lupus and the plaquenil really doesn't agree with her stomach. Hope you are feeling better soon.

YaYa
    May you have a blessed day.

Yaya

Thanks

Mixed Connective Tissue Disorder is an autoimmune process with symptoms of Scleroderma, Myositis, Systemic Lupus Erythematosus , Rheumatoid Arthritis and/or other autoimmune diseases. It is a description of a group of symptoms occurring together. This is different from a diagnosis that describes the underlying process.
    This according to this site I have been looking at about it
    http://hometown.aol.com/lindartc/index.htm#what . My rhumie said I have MCTD, lupus and rhumatoid arthritis. I am not sure if that meant I have the RA and lupus parts of MCTD, or if he was giveing 3 different diagnosis. I don't suppose it really matters as they are fairly similar in their treatment. I am trying to learn more so I can ask more informed questions next time I see my doc because he is not very comunicative on his own. This site is so supportive and and informative. I hope it is as much help to you and your daughter as it has been for me. Welcome.

Thanks

Default MCTD IS CONFUSING BECAUSE IT CAN MEAN TWO DIFFERENT THINGS

Some doctors use it to describe any connective tissue disorder where you have symptoms of two or more specific connective tissue diseases, like lupus and RA, or lupus and scleroderma. Other doctors call these "overlap" disorders because the symptoms overlap with one another. So if you have lupus with a scleroderma overlap, you have symptoms of both, but lupus is considered the dominant disease.

True or "classic" MCTD is a specific disease entity which is diagnosed when patients demonstrate the clinical features (exam findings) of overlap illnesses AND have high amounts of the antibodies ANA and anti-RNP in their blood. Mixed connective tissue disease patients do not typically have antibodies such as dsDNA or Scl70, which are common in systemic lupus erythematosus and scleroderma. True MCTD is diagnosed only when the anti-RNP antibodies are present. Classic MCTD is also called "Sharpe's disease' after the doctor who originally identified it.

In most MCTD patients, the disease may eventually evolve to the point where one disease predominates. Some MCTD patients eventually end up being diagnosed with systemic scleroderma.

So if your doctor says you have MCTD, he could be refering to either an overlap syndrome, or classic MCTD. Ask your doctor which one he means. If he doesn't know, get another doctor! If you have anti-RNP antibodies, it's probably classic MCTD.

Because the symptoms are basically the same, you may wonder if it really makes any difference what it's called. It is important because in classic MCTD, the disease may progress and evolve differently and may need to be monitored more aggressively.

Hope this didn't confuse you more than you already were. :?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Luly;
    Just wanted to take my turn to welcome you to our family. As you can see, everyone here is warm, welcoming, informative, supportive and understanding.
    I hope that we can be all of these things to you whenever you feel that you need us!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi Lu:

Just wanted to ditto all the other warm welcome's from others in this forum. Glad to see you lupus symptoms are under control but sorry to hear about your stomach. I sure know what that is like as I tend to have a bit of a "glass gut" myself. I had my gallbladder out many years ago and if it's partly that it certainly can cause problems for sure. When I was at my worst it didn't seem to matter what I ate but I was always sick. Now, however that is not the problem but I do find when I stay away from wheat, corn, sugar and dairy my stomach does much better.

I hope you continue to stay for a while as this is a great place for information and support.

The beautifulbeluga

Thanks

Thank you all for the warm welcome, this is very informative. I get so confused sometimes. As for the MCTD, Marycain I still am not sure about it. My doctor has used both terms Lupus and MCTD. My symptoms are strictly RA and Polymyositis but mostly RA since the polymyositis episode 2 years ago. The prednisone took that away but still have RA. I have no type of organ involvement so far and an occassional slight rash on my face.

Thanks

Welcome Lula :lol:
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!