Thread: Does anyone know a good salt substitute?

Thanks

Default Does anyone know a good salt substitute?

I'm trying to be good and limit salt because of so much fluid retention - most of the salt substitutes have way too much potassium. Wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have some gorgeous red tomatoes in the garden, and they just don't taste the same without SALT! Any recipes, anybody?

Thanks

All most salt substitute ARE is potassium... On tomatoes i usually use a LITTLE celery salt (like half of what you would use of regular salt) and pepper... yum...
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

Default THAT SOUNDS SOOOO GOOD

I LIKE CELERY SALT BUT I NEVER TRIED IT ON FRESH TOMATOES -I'VE GOT A NICE BRANDYWINE TOMATO JUST BEGGING TO BE EATEN - GOING TO GO SAMPLE IT! THANKS FOR THE TIP.

Thanks

Also, what I really like to do is cut it un half put a very thin layer of mayo on each half and sprinkle basil on top
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono

Thanks

MMMMM..... that Brandywine is making me wish some critter hadn't stripped the almost-ripe from my tomato plant!

I use a bit of Penzy's Italian Seasoning (a touch of salt, but mainly oregano, basil, garlic and who knows what all) plus a thin slize of mozerella, balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

For other things, I use little or no salt and substitute other spices - especially garlic.

Thanks

Default I used to have the same problem with critters

till we started growing the heirloom tomatoes in "earth boxes" - they're raised up off the ground enough to thwart most of the ground critters. Also makes it a lot easier to get to the tomatoes ourselves. We generally have enough stuff like lettuce, squash, etc. planted in the regular garden to supply both our family and the local wildlife population, so they don't try to get to the tomatoes. We have an old pear tree which has covered the ground with pears - early in the morning our groundhog family is usually out there having breakfast.

If you're having a real problem with critters eating your garden - try big cat dung balls - you can get them at many garden supply stores, and they keep the critters including deer out of your garden without any harmful chemical or spray repellants. These are made from the manure of the big zoo cats like tigers, many animal rescue organizations sell them to raise money for animal issues, so it's good for your garden and the environment.

Thanks to you and solesinger both for the wonderful tomato tips.

Thanks

Hi! I want to strongly recommend Mrs. Dash Seasoning Blend. It is an all natural bllend of spices with 0 calories, 0 fat, 0 sodium, 0 carbs, 0 protein and 10 mg of potassium. There are several different blends you can try. I use the original blend to season everything from creamed potatoes, potato salad, cole slaw, etc, to meat marinades. I add it to soups, stews...just about everything. It is wonderful. It is found on the spice ailse. I hope you guys try it and love it as much as I do.