Thread: Help! Speaking of feet (and ankles, and calves)

Thanks

Default Help! Speaking of feet (and ankles, and calves)

I am having the weirdest symptoms. I had EMG and NCV studies done on my legs and one arm on Wednesday. They were pretty intense and they had to do my left leg twice because they were getting funny readings. The good news is that I don't have nerve damage. The bad news is they don't know what is causing the neuropathies.

Anyway, on Thursday evening, my left foot and ankle began to swell and feel hot (from the inside) and tingle and hurt. This morning, it is still swollen and hot, and my whole left leg hurts all the way up to my knee and I have a sharp pain behind my knee, especially when I stretch the muscles in my lower leg. Should I be concerned, or should I just rest and ice it. I am at work, and I sit at a desk where I can't put it up right now, but I will when I get off work. I have been trying to get up every 15 or 20 minutes but it is really uncomfortable and hot. Any ideas what is going on?

Thanks

Default CALL DOC ASAP -

THIS COULD BE A BLOOD CLOT OR A RUPTURED BAKERS' CYST - OR SOMETHING MINOR, BUT YOU DEFINITELY NEED YO LET YOUR DOC KNOW.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Peach; :lol:
    Some people say that Lupus is a type of arthritis that affects the joints, muscles and other parts of the body and that Lupus involves swelling that may affect many parts of the body including the heart, lungs, skin, joints, kidneys, nervous system and blood-forming organs. People with lupus develop antibodies (which usually fight bacteria and viruses) that attack healthy tissue instead. This produces inflammation in different parts of the body resulting in pain and swelling. People with Lupus also suffer from Inflammation of the tendons (tendinitis) which can be seen and usually occurs on the hands, legs, ankles or feet.
    Leg swelling can be a sign of a very serious condition. Heart failure can cause leg swelling usually in both (bilateral) legs. Renal failure (kidney problems) can produce leg edema--usually in both legs. Whatever the reason, your doctor should run tests to make sure that the cause is not due to heart or kidney involvment, since left unchecked, they can be threatening.
    I am not trying to frighten you, but it is important that you find out the underlying cause of the leg and ankle swelling.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Thank you both very much for your advice. I am terrified of being an alarmist as much as I am afraid of something being wrong. And of course, all of this is happening during a time when both my rheumatologist and my PCP offices are closed (they both close at noon on Friday) So, last night after work, I laid down with my leg up and kept down until this morning. I went to actual bed at 9:30 and stayed there until 9 today and have been lying down until now (about 1 p.m.) New weird thing though, I must have gotten up to go to the bathroom 7 or 8 times in the night. It was soooo annoying. The swelling has definitely gone down, but I will be keeping an eye on it.

Thanks again!