Thread: Shingles, anyone?

Thanks

Default Shingles, anyone?

I was wondering if anyone else here has had shingles? My first occurance was in October, 2004. It was torture for about 2 weeks and then the pain subsided. I had them again last year in September--same thing. To my dismay, I have a familiar sensation around my midsection today. This is how they started before. Right now I feel like my ribcage has been sandblasted and I can feel heat radiating from that area. I am praying to God and whoever else might be listening :roll: that this isn't shingles again!!! No blisters yet, but when this happened last year I never had any blisters. My internest said sometimes they don't erupt. He put me on Valtrex, but it didn't really help...I guess it has to run its course. If anyone has any info/advice to share I would appreciate it very much...[/img]

Thanks

I don't have any advice or info but you do totally have my sympathy. I had them about 4 years ago and I wouldn't wish that on ANYONE. I was out of work for 2 weeks cause of the pain. I'm sorry and hope that isn't what it is, or if it is that it clears up fast. {{HUG}}

Thanks

I'm so sorry, i had shingles at the end of last summer, would not wish it on my worst enemy...i know what you mean about that tingling feeling. Plus i still get pain from where the blisters were. Valtrex isnt working?

are you on prednisone? thats what my dr. said caused it.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi:
    Lupus patients are at a high risk for contracting Shingles (AKA: herpes zoster). Partly because we are more susceptible to infections because we have altered immune systems, and also because many of us are on treatment (steroids & cytotoxics) that suppresses our immune system function, leaving us more prone to infection. The most common bacterial infections seen in lupus patients affect the respiratory tract and the urinary tract. Septic arthritis, tuberculosis, salmonella, cold viruses, & shingles are also quite common for us.
    If you are taking any cytoxin drugs, then you are even more susceptible to shingles. cytotoxic drugs may suppress immune system too much, which causes an increased susceptibility to infection, particularly shingles (a painful, blistering skin condition) and pneumonia. Here are some of the cytoxin drugs:

Generic name:
    Azathioprine
    Brand Name:
    Imuran

Generic Name:
    Cyclophosphamide
    Brand Name:
    Cytoxan

Generic Name:
    Methotrexate
    Brand Name:
    Rheumatrex

I hope that this has been helpful.
    Let me know if you need any furhter information
    Saysusie

Thanks

Hi tbritt! I've had shingles 3 times! I'm sorry you might be getting them again! They are not pleasant :cry: My last bout with shingles though was just like yours and lucky for me they never actually broke out. And I don't know how I got so lucky. But I did see my doctor and was given a prescription for acyclovir just in case I had to fill it. I'll keep you in my prayers that no blisters appear. :lol:
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Thanks

Default Shingles

I am sorry for of us that had shingles. I was put on cellcept and 10 mg of prednisone a day. Because my immune system is being surpressed I got shingles. It's no fun. I couldn't stand the stingy feeling. I couldn't stand for my sister to give me eyedrops because it affected my left eye. How aweful. I got shingles in May. I am still taking eyedrops. I pray I don't get it again. It's aweful.

Thanks

I too can relate! My CellCept dose was doubled last March and within a month I got a nasty case of shingles on my trunk (not my face thank God, I hear that is awful!). I was in the worst pain I could imagine for 6 weeks. I was taking 8 Percocet a day and was barely able to cope. After the 6 weeks of hell I got a complication called Postherpetic Neuralgia which basically means the nerves are damaged and the pain sticks around for months and even years. The pain was not quite as bad but it is just now dealable without meds. Neurontin helped tremendously! It made me human again. The faster you get on the antivirals that is supposed to reduce your chance for the Neuralgia.
    Kendra Isola, CLEAR Co-Founder

Thanks

Default Shingles

I can relate, I feel bad for you, had shingles involving my eye and facial nerve before I was diagnosed. Worst pain I've ever had.

Thanks

Hi. I too have had the Shingles a few times and it is not fun by any means. I still have pain in the right ribcage from them and Costal Chondritis. I am on Imuran and yes am more susceptible to infections etc. I spent a week in the hospital about 5 years ago with Salmonella infection. We have to be very careful about infections and viruses. Hugs Kathleen
    Live one day at a time: It's easier that way

Dx with SLE in 1994
    Dx with Sjogrens 1994
    Dishydrotic Eczema 1974
    Severe Osteo-Arthritis

Meds:
    Imuran 125mg
    Plaquenil 400mg
    Sulindac (Clinoril) 400mg
    Soma prn up to 4 times a day
    Darvacet prn