Thread: what's next after plaquenil?

Thanks

Default what's next after plaquenil?

:? Hey everyone, here to vent and ask for advice. I was diagnosed in Feb 2006 with SLE and sjrogrens. I am on plaquenil 200mg qd and Celebrex 1 qd. I have been really sick for 2 weeks now. So I called the doc and she started me on an antibiotic for a possible sinus infection. by the way, I have had a severe headache for 14 days now. but it hasent helped. Still have a ha, joint pain, fatigue. I will see the doc in 2 days. What determines the dosage of plaquenil that I am taking? and also when do the doctors decide to try out prednisone on their patients? ( not that I even want to take it!) I was curious about what the doctor will do since I am still in this flare. Thanks for any advice!
    Love and hugs :!:

Thanks

In Febuary 06 I was diagnosed with lupus. I started plaquenil and pred at the same time. they added celebrex last month along with robaxin.
    The pain isn't better and I am more tired than ever in my life. Sometimes I think that the meds make it worse but I keep taking them in hopes of relief.

Thanks

Mom2two I guess it depends on the doc when it comes to putting a patient on prednisone. I've been on prednisone for my entire diagnosis with lupus and of course when I'm in a flare they up the dosage. I've been presently on 30 mg daily for the past 5 months and continue on it until I go back to my rheumatologist next month. But I am also on 400mg of plaquinel a day. You may just want to bring up being put on prednisone with your doc. There's nothing wrong with talking about it. Hope you feel better soon and let us know how the doc appt goes ~Butterfly
    Diagnosed in 1990 at age 11.
    Trust in the Lord with all of your heart!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Mom2two: :lol:
    Plaquenil is an anti-malarial and Anti-malarials are generally used to treat skin and joint symptoms in Lupus. Doctor's also prescribe them to help improve muscle and joint pain, inflammation of the lining of the heart (pericarditis), inflammation of the lining of the lung (pleuritis), other symptoms of lupus such as fatigue and fever.
    However, anti-malarials alone are not appropriate treatment for more severe manifestations of systemic lupus, such as kidney disease. It is at this point that your doctor may prescribe a corticosteroid such as prednisone. Many of the symptoms of lupus can result from inflammation in various tissues of the body and prednisone often decreases that inflammation. Those individuals with organ-threatening disease (i.e., heart, lung, brain, kidney, liver) as a result of Lupus, usually are prescribed steroids (like prednisone) in order to prevent loss of function in the organ.

I hope that this has been helpful
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

hey guys, just got back from the rheumi and she gave me a dose pack to start with. she also gave me sonata for sleep. She drew a lot of blood work also.
    So, we will see how this helps. :roll:
    Thanks for all of your input. I thank God for all of you!!!!

hugs and Love!
    Mom2two :B-fly:

Thanks

Hi Guys,
    I read all of your posts and I was also on Plaqeunil and I had to go off of it because I was getting worse, by the time that I stopped it my blood work was worse than it was six months ago. So the doctor was baffeled and now I am on an infusion of solumedrol twice a week until he can find out something else to put me on. I also have to stop the predisone because I could not eat or stop throwing up and I lost 15 pounds. Anyway the solumedrol even though it is a temporary fix and I have to take 4 hours out of my tie to sit in a chair at the hospital is working all the way around so that may be something to ask your doctor about. I hope everything works out for you.
    What hurts, Will only make us stronger