Thread: Just discharged from hospital

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Just discharged from hospital

I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia about 13 years ago. To make a long story short, I was recently diagnosed with SLE. I was admitted to the hospital recently because I thought I was having a heart attack! It scared me so bad, I thought I was dying! Well, they are saying I'm having heart complications from SLE. Can anyone out there relate to this story? I'm desperate-I think friends and family think I'm losing my mind.

Thanks

Default TO EVELYN

There are several ways that lupus can affect your heart. It can cause inflammation of the sac surrounding your heart - it can also cause you to develop blood clots if you have certain antibodies in your blood. I know this is a really scary time for you, but believe me, you're not crazy!!! Most heart-related lupus complications can be treated with medication. I've had several blood clots and also a couple of bouts with pericarditis - it is scary but treatable. The important thing is to find a good cardiologist who understands lupus and will work with your other docs to develop the best treatment plan for you. I know you are frightened right now, but please try not to stess out too much - stress is bad for lupies and can aggravate your symptoms, especially since you already have fibromyalgia. If you have a favorite relaxation technique, this would be a good time to use it. Personally, I love to curl up with a cup of cocoa and my cat. Hang in there - you can get through this!

Thanks

Thank you so much for your reply. I don't wish this on anyone. It's not fair. I hope my condition doesn't get to the point where you've been, I don't think I can handle it. I appreciate your input. I really do need to relax. I've been so terrified. I'm picking up a heart monitor today because a lot of the tests have come up abnormal (hospital tests). What else is going to happen to me? I'll be 42 on August 22. I never imagined this could happen at my age. I have to get through this, I have 6 year old twins that need me to be healthy!

Thanks

Default EVELYN, YOU WILL GET THRU THIS

I know you are scared, but hold onto your faith and your belief that you are strong and a survivor! Once the docs have finished their tests, they should be able to prescribe the right treatment. Don't be afraid to ask questions and demand explanations of anything you don't understand. I know how much energy twins take - my foster sons are twins age 10. The younger boys are singles - 8 and 6, but somehow it seems like the twins get into four times more trouble. Are your twins boy or girl or mixed? Is there anyone who can help you with your children so you can get some rest? If you can, try to put together a support system of friends you can turn to for help, so you don't have to go through this by yourself.