Thread: new to the board

Thanks

Default new to the board

I would sure appreciate some help. I have been reading a lot of the posts and it seems good to me to find others who are going through the same things I am. I have a high RA factor -220. I was tested for lupus , one test . but it did not show up. Because of severe skin rashes when exposed to sun, The doctor told me he felt I had a form of lupus. The fatigue is profound. I had a good job with insurance, but was so sick that I could no longer go on with it and resigned. I felt like I was paying myself to be sick. I did not go back for more tests due to loosing the insurance. I had been seeing 1 doctor for almost 5 years and was tested for everything from Lyme disease , to gout, parvo virus, hepititis, strep. ect...ect...because of this very long time of wrong diagnosis, it was catching up with me, and I really felt too weak to continue, I did see a rheumatologist, who found the problem within 4 visits. I feel really bad about not going back , but the job that I had to do to keep the insurance was too much , and much sun exposure so it exasperated symptoms, Does anyone else experience a scratchy rash when exposed to the sun. I get large welts on my arms and if my hair is pulled back ,neck, and on my ears too. I have not been wearing shorts. Its almost embarassing going into a store with this year after year rash that seems to be getting worse
    Would love to hear from others like me

Thanks

Default the reason I asked about the itchy rash

I asked about the itchy rash because Someone told me that lupus rash's do not itch. does anyone else experience the itch. It will dissappear within hours , but the welts and itching are hive like, and leave some white scars

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Aveca;
    There are some forms of LUPUS which do present infectious, itchy red patches and lesions on your skin: DISCOIDAL LUPUS ERYTHRMATOSUS (DLE). This form of LUPUS is not as severe as SLE, but can be painful and irritating. The lesions are often disc-shaped. However, the ones on the face are also in the form of the classic butterfly shape along the bridge of the nose and across the upper cheeks. The rashes occur most often on the face and neck, although they also appear on the arms, legs, the trunk, scalp, the palms of the hands, the fingertips, the soles of the feet and other areas exposed to the sun. These rashes do not last very long for the most part, but the do recurr and may leave scars.
    The cause of DLE (just like SLE) is unknown and flareups have been attributed to direct sunlight. There are some patients who present symptoms of both SLE and DLE! Some patients with DLE eventually progress to SLE!
    what type of medications are you taking for your LUPUS??? The most common treatment for the rashes involves antimalarials and cortisteroids. Are you taking any of these???
    I hope that I have been helpful. Let me know if yo need anything further
    8)
    Saysusie

Thanks

Default Oh my lord thank you!!!

I cannot thank you enough for that answer!! The doctor said the rash looked to familiar to him. thought it was lupus, and quite severe,but I never asked him about the itching He really was a saint, but when you go to the hospital. you feel like there is a turkey timer in the back ground that is going to go off any minute. The hospital has a set time the doc can spend with you , and its hard to cram in every question befor that turkey timer goes off. I was told that lupus rash doesnt itch (BUT NOT BY A DOCTOR) even thou it wasnt a doctor that told me that, I got even more worried. but this makes me feel better. Sometimes people who have been there know best , and can help others who are just learning about it. The doctors exact words were " I beleve you are on the threashold of lupus".as well as RA"

Thanks

Default also

also. strangly , I do not have the face rash , an occasional spot here or there, but ear tips get red and splotchy, if my hair is up, my neck and shoulders will break out.scalp on occasion,arms are a perfect mess with disk shaped rases that leave some scarring