Thread: lupus and m.s.

Thanks

Default lupus and m.s.

I have had lupus for almost 20 years and now they think I have M.S. too. Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks

I don't know anything about the relationship between the 2 but I'd be interested to know if there's a connection. My grandmother had MS and as it's also an autoimmune disease I wonder if Lupus can lead to MS down the road and if I'm at risk or not. Anybody know anything?

Thanks

I'm not sure about the two together but my mom has had MS for over 15 years. When I got my dx for Lupus I made her go be tested for it to see if that was what she had instead. Her tests came back positive for the MS AND RA. My grandmother also has RA. So these things run in my family and I was the "lucky" recipient of most of the health issues i.e. the autoimmune stuff, female issues (hysterectomy at age 26, my mom had one at 27 and my grandma was also in her 20s when she had hers), high blood pressure, and the list goes on. I told my siblings and cousins they should thank me for taking it all on and sparing them

Thanks

Lupus, MS and RA are in the same family of auto-immune disorders. In my family:

MS - my aunt, her grandmother
    RA - my dad, his dad
    MS - my brother
    TM (transverse myelitis - a condition that can lead to MS) - my other brother
    Lupus - Me

My GP told me that it IS possible to have Lupus and MS. I have never had any MS symptoms though, so I may not be getting tested for that, yet.

I sure as heck don't want a lumbar puncture.
    44, dx in 2000 for SLE... I survive by my creativity.
    My daily blog and excuse to post artwork and photography: http://www.jaynedarcy.us

My writing group: http://www.3rdeyewriters.com

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi :lol:
    As Janedarcy said, both diseases are auto-immune diseases. MS is an autoimmune disease of the central nervous system (CNS). Lupus can affect the CNS and sometimes a person develops MS along with their Lupus. The nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord, which make up the CNS, are connected to each other by long fibers called axons which are covered with a protective myelin sheath. With MS, the body's own immune system attacks the myelin sheaths and axons, causing inflammation and scarring (thus multiple sclerosis - multiple scars). When enough axons and nerves are damaged, the messages carried by the nervous system are disrupted, causing the symptoms of MS. The symptoms of any one individual with MS are dependent on what areas of the CNS have been damaged. For this reason, symptoms of MS (like Lupus) differ from one person to another, and can be temporary, recurring or permanent. Symptoms also come and go depending on whether a person is having an exacerbation (attack or a lupus flare) or a remission.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie