Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Feel like a pill popper anyone?

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

No, I suppose we never get used to it. Myself, I take 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 pills each and every day :?
    Saysusie

Thanks

Oh my gosh, I could totally relate with how everyone is feeling on this post. I have SLE. Scleroderma, Diffuse Nephritis, Raynaud's Disease, Pleurisy, Pericarditis, and Pulmonary Hypertension. 16 (various) pills keeps me going every single day. I do my very best to organize all my different medications certain ones I have to take with food, others I need to take with empty stomach, others I need to take by itself, and others I need to take at night time.

My last visit I got totally nagged by my Nephrologist because my last test results came back and all my numbers are skewed - higher protein count, lower white count,etc...where she's expecting to see good numbers since she's doubled up my Cell Cept. I told her I might have missed a few pills here and there - she got furios and told me I'm on denial - its time to wake up and smell the coffee "You are sick and you need these meds to get better, with your kidney problem and all other issues you have with Lupus, if you don't listen to your doctors and take your meds you will die!

I didn't like being told off. But I know it was my own fault for being stubborn. I realized as much as I hate popping all these pills, knowing all its side effects and all....overall these meds do help us...these meds keep me alive because I know without them I don't think I'd be able to live with the illness.

Thanks

Hi!

Yes! I can totally relate to what you guys are saying! I always feel like a pill popper and the fact that my best friend is practically 100% healthy and takes no pills whatsoever, makes me feel even worse! I'm sixteen, so most people my age are not on any pills and therefore, do not understand. Luckily, I have a friend who understands exactly what it's like to have to take so many pills. She had a liver and a kidney transplant when she was eleven (she is seventeen now) and also has Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (an autoimmune blood disease).

I also have one of those little pill organiser things, just like peach224! They're great!

I am SO sick and tired of these annoying people who tell you that your pills are making you sick and that if you stop taking all of them (including the vitamins and minerals! :?: :? :roll: :shock, you will feel 100% healthy! That is the biggest load of RUBBISH that I have EVER heard! My mom's friend's husband told me that I must stop taking my vitamins, etc. and that I must even stop taking my Anti-Epileptic Drug because I should be able to control my Epilepsy myself with my mind! Er, HELLO! I am one of the strongest people when it comes to mind and spirit and I am very sorry, but I am UNABLE to control my Epilepsy without my Epilim (Depakene in the U.S.A. and Convulex in the U.K.)!

Keep well!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I bet he has no chronic disease or debilitating illness that he is dealing with does he??? I am with you 100% about people giving us advise on how to deal with our illness when they #1) Know nothing about our illness and #2) know nothing about what it is like to live with chronic and/or debilitating diseases!!
    I always imagine smashing a pumpkin in their face and it makes me smile. They then ask me what I'm smiling about and I just say sweetly, "nothing" and walk away. Imaginary vengance can be so sweet sometimes :lol:

Saysusie

Thanks

What makes me furious is when my doc tells me,"Oh, triple up on the Prednisone"and "double up on the Neurontin" and he's talking as fast as he can and I'm scribbling notes as fast as I can. Then the next time he asks me, "how much of __________ are you taking?" and gets mad when I have to say, "er, um, wait a minute" because I can't remember and have to look through my notes! Grrrrrrrr!

Thanks

Oh, yeah....and THEN he acts mystified when I have to call in sooner for a refill!!!! I feel like screaming at him, "DON'T YOU REMEMBER? YOU TOLD ME TO DOUBLE?TRIPLE UP!"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Marycain and I had a discussion about the plight of doctors that opened my eyes a bit. I guess I'd have to say that "No", they generally don't remember telling us to double-up and triple-up on our meds.
    When you remind your of what he's said, what has been his reaction? Is he contrite or does he still act perturbed? 'Cuz, if he continues to be perturbed and/or arrogant, then I'd have a serious discussion with him at that time!

Saysusie

Thanks

Default My "doctor rant"

Oh, believe you me, we are GOING to have a LONG talk when I see him on Wednesday. (By the way, when I "remind" him, he just kind of shakes hishead and says, "Oh, yes..." and looks embarrassed, then changes the subject.) Among the things we will discuss:
    1. Why does he continue to ignore the fact that I have been nauseous FOR THREE WEEKS now and Phenergan is NOT doing the job? (I am going to ask him, "have you ever had stomach flu for a few days? Imagine feeling that way for 3 weeks!") I want something stronger for the nausea, or I want to try a different chemo med.
    2. Why does he ignore my urinary symptoms when a Nephrologist would NOT? (In fact, the nurse when she heard my symptoms said, "Oh, you have to come in as soon as we can get you in here."
    3. WHY, when I ask for some kind of medicine , do you look at me like I'm some kind of drug addict? YOU KNOW I HAVE LUPUS! who the heck sells OUR KIND of meds on the street? It's silly and insulting.
    4. Why do you only write me scrips for 30 days? It is ridiculous for me to have to call the pharmacy every month and hope that you answer their faxes. Some of these meds can NOT be "skipped" while I wait.
    5. Why is your staff so anxious to set appointments, but so dismissive and lazy about giving you the messages when I call? (This was HIS excuse for not calling me back.) If you have a problem with your staff, it's YOUR responsibility to correct it. Or, I'll be MORE than happy to talk to them if you haven't got the b-lls to do it yourself.
    6. Why, when I mention some of what I have learned on this board, does he look at me and smile like, "silly woman." I may not have a medical degree, but I can darn sure educate myself, and I have!
    I've already decided that if I don't get some satisfaction and some CHANGE after our discussion, I absolutely WILL find another doctor. and I will tell him so. After they let me out of the straitjacket he will probably put me in. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Doctor's are of two minds when it comes to educated patients. On the one hand, they think that it is a good idea for us to be knowledgeable; but on the other hand, they think that we become some sort of hypochondriacs when we learn about our illness (especially if we say that we learned this or that on the internet!). I hate that "smug" look that they give us when we say that we've learned about our illness, our treatments, our symptoms and our medications on the internet. I had a doctor give me that look once and my response was "At least someone is telling me something..you've told me nothing except to take this pill or that pill. Are you going to hold it against me because I want answers that you will not give me? If you don't want me going to the internet, then answer my D!@# questions. Otherwise, do not give me that look when I try to get answers from someone, somewhere!" That made him back up and look at me a bit more seriously.
    I doubt very seriously if you will be placed in a straight jacket for standing up for your rights as a patient. All of your questions are valid and deserve answers...demand that he answer each and every one of them! If you are not satisfied, then by all means, find another doctor!! I think that you are 100% within your rights to want to feel better! Why is that such a hard thing for them to understand?? Getting your medications on time is part of that; having medications that work is part of that! You ARE NOT asking for too much...just that they listen to you and help you to feel better!
    Please let us know how it goes Littlered!! I wish you the best and do not back down!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

I am blessed to have a rheumatologist who is open-minded, flexible and loves educated patients, and who isn't afraid to say I don't know, or I need to look that up. He's also very interested in alternative and complementary therapies, and will research anything I bring up and tell me the straight information, not the AMA party line. So there are great doctors out there - unfortunately it can take some effort and doctor-changing to find them. But any doctor who feels threatened or challenged by a patient who asks questions is a doctor to be avoided if possible, because he has an inflated sense of his own ego, and that kind of doctor is dangerous. Although I think most doctors are genuinely interested in helping - they just let the system get the better of them - there are also doctors out there who buy into the myth of the godlike, infalllible doctor. Run, do not walk, from these doctors as fast as you can!

Although they can be harder to find, I've found that osteopathic physicians are more inclined to look at the patient as a whole person instead of a collection of body parts they can tinker with. So if you do end up looking for a new doctor, you might want to consider looking for an osteopathic physician rather than an allopath. The gynecologist I go to now is an osteopath and she is hands down the best one I've ever had.

Saysusie, I'm still with you on that soapbox - unfortunately I think we need a bigger megaphone to make ourselves heard.

Littlered - you go girl!