Thread: How do I know if Plaquenil is failing?

Thanks

Default How do I know if Plaquenil is failing?

Recently I have had a significant increase in joint pain,.. more than I've ever had... and more frequent episodes of fatigue/flaring. I have been on Plaquenil since December. It seemed to help greatly till recently...How do I tell if it is/isn't working? (I don't see my new rheummy till the end of August. )

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Goodnightjunebug :lol:
    Usually, if Plaquenil itself is unsuccessful in controlling symptoms, other medications such as methotrexate or sulfasalazine are added to it. Has your doctor discussed any of these drugs with you?
    Plaquenil is generally used to decrease swelling in joints due to Lupus. Generally, Plaquenis is used when NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or aspirin-like medications) are ineffective in controlling the swelling and pain. Also, Plaquenil is frequently used in combination with other medications such as methotrexate and sulfasalazine to suppress inflammation in lupus.
    Also, in patients with lupus, Plaquenil may be helpful in controlling various types of skin rashes, inflammation in the sac that surrounds the heart or lungs (pericarditis or pleuritis), or general symptoms such as fatigue, fever, and muscle pain. It may also prevent “flare-ups” of inflammation in patients with lupus.
    Plaquenil has very good results for most patients. However, I would suggest that you discuss, with your doctor, the possibility of using the drugs I spoke of above in conjunction with the Plaquenil.

Best of Luck
    Saysusie