Thread: New Member/Child with Complete Heart Block

Thanks

Default New Member/Child with Complete Heart Block

Hello:

I found out that I have positive Lupus Antibodies when I was pregnant with my second child, who is now 4. She was diagnosed with Complete Heart Block when I was 20 weeks pregnant with her. I am now pregnant with my fourth child, (this is it!), and this pregancy, (8 wks left!), has been fine. My third child was born with no heart defects as well.

I find all the lab results and statistics very confusing. If anyone can be of assistance to me I would greatly appreciate it! I am followed by a rhemotologist in Boston, who I did just have a visit with. He performed all the necessary bloodwork to track the progress of the Lupus from my last visit. While I "technically" am symptom free, he has indicated that I have a 40% chance of developing symptoms over the next few years.

I do not have any rashes or skin problems, although my I do have achy joints and have always experienced these throughout my life. I am active physically so I have never given the symptoms a second thought up until my daughter was diagnosed.

I have also read and been advised that my child could develop heart block at any point and even after birth.

Thank you!

Leisa

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Norto;
    I am sorry to hear of the complications suffered by your 4yr old daughter. I can try to help you with you lab results as best I can...not sure how helpful that will be!
    I pray that this child will be born in perfect health and, if not perfect, that she or he will be a blessing in your life as your other three children have been.
    Let me know what issues you need help with and I will do the best that I can :roll:
    Saysusie

Thanks

That you Saysusie!

This is great timing, as the rheum. just sent me the results of my tests, which he indicated there was no "real" change from my last ones taken a few years ago.

The Out-of-Range results were:

Creatinine: .5
    Albumin: 3.4
    Anti-Ro: 194
    Anti-LA: 22
    ANA Screen Positive
    RBC: 3.8
    HGB: 10.3
    HCT: 29.6
    MCV: 77.0
    MCH: 26.5

Automated Differential:
    LYMP % 10.2, (1), then 9.3
    MONO% 2.4
    NEUT % 86.6
    LYMP # .79

Any assistance and advice you can give would be great!!

Thanks so much!

Norto

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Leisa:
    Here is what I've found regarding your lab test results:
    Creatinin: Normal range= 0.6-1.2 mg/dl (you are at .5). Increased in: Acute or chronic renal failure; urinary tract obstruction, nephrotoxic drugs. Decreased in: Reduced muscle mass, possible drug effect.

Albumin: Normal Range= 3.4 - 4.7 g/dl (you are in normal range-3.4).
    Inceased in: Dehydration, shock, hemoconcentration. Decreased in: chronic liver disease, malnutrition, malignancy, burns, trauma, hemorrhage etc.

Anti-RO (SS-A)/Anti-LA: Normal Range=Negative. This is an autoantibody against acidic nuclear ribonucleoproteins that is found in patients with connective tissue diseases such as LUPUS and Sjogren's syndrome. Positive in: SLE, Sjogren's syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis. Anti-LA/SS-B is another antibody against acidic ribonucleoproteins that is less sensitive for Sjogren's and SLE. Patients with antibodies to SS-A may have a negative ANA test.

ANA Positive: Normal Range=1:20. ANA is measured in serum by layering serum over human epithelial cells and detecting the antibody with fluorescein-conjugated polyvalent anti-human immunoglobulin. Elevated in SLE (110%). A positive ANA with other screening tests generally indicates LUPUS

RBC: (Antinerythrocyte antibodies) Normal= None present (you are at 3.8). this tests is standardly used to detect autoimmune anemia.

HGB: (Hemoglobin) Normal Range (female)= 12.0 - 15.5 (you are at 10.3) Decreased in: Anemia, liver disease, B-12 deficiency, folate deficiency, iron deficiency, anemia of chronic disease, hemolytic anemia, hemorrhage etc.

HCT: (Hematocrit) Normal Range (female)= 35-45 (you are ate 29.6). Decreased in: Anemia, liver disease, B-12 deficiency, folate deficiency etc.

MCV[/b]: (Mean Corpuscular Volume) Normal Range= 80-100 fl (you are ate 77.0). Decreased in: iron deficiency, thalassemia; decreased or normal in anemia of chronic disease.

[/b]MCH: (Mean Corpuscular Hemoglobin) Normal Range= 26-34 pg (you are at 26.5) Increased In: Macrocytosis. Decreased In: iron deficiency, thalassemia, lead poisioning, sideroblastic anemia, anemia of chronic disease.

Automated Differential:
    Neutophils % - Normal Range= 1.8-6.8 K/ml.
    Lymphocytes% - Normal Range= 0.9-2.9 K/ml
    Monocytes % - Normal Range= 0.1 - 0.6 K/ml

Increased neutrophils suggests infection (bacterial or early viral) acute stres, acute and chronic inflammations, tumor or drugs. Decreased neutrophils suggests aplastic anemia, drug induced neutropenia, folate or B-12 deficiency, lymphoproliferative disease.

Increased lymphocytes suggests viral infection, thyrotoxicosis, chronic infection, autoimmune disease. Decreased lymphocytes suggests immune deficiency syndrome.

Increased monocytes suggests inflammation, infection, malignancy, TB.
    Decreased monocytes suggests depleted in overwhelming bacterial infection.

Your out-of-range results are important to your doctor as they must all be considered before making a positive diagnosis for LUPUS. Your doctor has been very thorough. Look at and think about your results so that you can understand what your doctor tells you at your next visit. Should a LUPUS diagnosis be made (and from these results, it may be made), remember that the disease can be managed and that we are here to support you!
    best of Luck
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

Saysusie,

Thank YOU so much for assisting me with this! I received SO much information from you that is going to be beneficial to me. Just reading through it this first time was beneficial. You are correct, in that he was very thorough. He is the Chief of Rheum. at the Brigham & Women's Hospital in Boston, MA. I am very fortunate to have him as he is not taking too many patients anymore. My OB is his colleague which is why I was able to see him. His plan is to run the blood tests once again after I have the baby, as he said that pregnancy can influenece the test results. He also would like to see the results that the pregnancy has had on my body.

It was an experience to be in his office waiting area with all the older people and in I walk, young and pregnant!! They all looked at me like I had three heads.

This forum sounds like a wonderful area of support for Lupus patients. I look forward to talking to everyone in the future!

Thanks again for all of your help!

Norto

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You are more than welcome...we are here to help and support you in any way that we can!
    Hope all goes well..keep me advised of your diagnosis

Saysusie