Thread: sun...flares?

Thanks

Default sun...flares?

I am well aware that sun is not the friend of Lupies...But can it cause other reactions besides skin issues? I seem to have a mini flare every time I go out in the sun. I get about 3-4 hours of debilitating fatigue(which is my worst Lupus symptom anyway). Can the sun be that symptom specific? My friend with MCTD said that deyhdration will compound any effect that the sun has on us. Do any of you get "non-skin" flares from the sun? Junebug

Thanks

Definitely! When I am exposed to my #1 enemy, I not only get the rash but my pain and fatigue multiply big time. For me dehydration has nothing to do with it cause I always have a cup or bottle of something to drink (usually water) in my hand so I KNOW I'm not dehydrated.

Thanks

Default sun is not your friend

When I am out in the sun-the fatigue can last for the rest of the day. I have to plan a "do nothing" afternoon when my son has baseball or soccer and I can't stay in the shade enough. Also, right before my dx, we moved to the beach-who says God doesn't have a sense of humor?

So, bottom line...cover up, sunscreen, avoid midday exposure, drink plenty, and plan some down time to recover.

Good luck!
    Kimberly

Thanks

The sun does not cause a skin rash for me, but it does cause extreme fatigue and pain. One afternoon I decided to play in my flowerbed. It was just so pretty outside, and I had been in the house all week. Well, I paid for it for 2 days. The fatigue was horrible. I have learned if I want to go out in the sun, I will need to prepare to have a "mini-flare".
    Good Luck!!
    Angela Sears

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Goodnightjunebug;
    It is the ultraviolet (UV) waves in the sunlight that causes Lupus flares (ulltraviolet light in the UVA and UVB wavebands). UV light damages cells in the skin (keratinocytes) causing them to die. In healthy people without lupus, these dead cells are cleared away quickly and any inflammation induced by the sun-induced skin damage is short-lived (sunburn).

However in lupus patients, the skin cells may be more sensitive to sun-induced damage and there is increasing evidence that the dying (apoptotic) cells are not cleared away efficiently. As a result the contents of the dying cells may be released and cause inflammation. Also, cell contents such as DNA (the genetic material) and other molecules including Ro which are never normally exposed to cells of the immune system are available to generate (start) an immune response. Immune responses and inflammation are the normal reactions of the body to infection, but here they are being generated inappropriately by the dying cells and the body mounts an immune response against its own cell constituents (autoimmunity).

The end result of this process in susceptible people with certain types of lupus is the development of characteristic photosensitive rashes. Sunlight may also cause the development of new lupus skin lesions, & can also lead to flares of disease activity in SLE, including joint pains & fatigue. Antibodies to Ro, in particular, are often found in people with these rashes. Why the rashes affect only some parts of the body at any one time and are not always sun-sensitive is still not understood.

Many lupus patients who are photosensitive also report symptoms such as rashes, joint pain & fatigue, after exposure to artificial UV light from fluorescent lighting, photocopiers & VDUs. So, it is not just the sun that we must avoid, it is all forms of UV light!!

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

ugghh...makes me wanna crawl under a rock. Still feeling fatigue from Thursday's sun (today is Saturday)...I'm going to go nap now...boo hoo
    Junebug

Thanks

I don't mind cloudy days anymore. If I was Superman, the sun is my Kryptonite, or my weakness. I dread going out in the sun. Just walking across the parking lot to my car on my lunchbreak affects me. I feel as if the sun sucks all the energy out of me. I also hate all the rash marks it leaves on my skin. Just spending a day in the sun, I'll need the next day to rest and recover. Its horrible! :cry:

Thanks

Fatigue is my worst lupus symptom at this time also, so being in the sun is not an option for me right now. When I get out in the sun I have to plan at least a day of down time afterwards. I don't get skin rashes, instead I get the pins and needles feeling on the areas exposed to the sun. The best advice I can give is don't get out in the sun unless you really have to because the fatigue is bad enough without adding to it. Good luck!!!
    Angela Sears

Thanks

I get the butterfly rash and fatigue when I'm out in the sun too long. And buddhabelly don't forget just because it is cloudy doesn't mean the sun isn't an issue- the rays still come through the clouds. Just an FYI for ya :lol:

Thanks

You're right 'ButterflyRN"! It can be a sunny day or a cloudy day, we still can't avoid the UV rays. 8) I was excited that the sun was hiding this morning, so I decided to wash my car in the driveway. So its true, sun or no sun, I still get the flare. My butterfly rash becomes more noticeable and the fatigue kicks in. Now I'm pooped! And ready for a long nap. I'm going to start wearing SPF 65 for now on. Maybe that'll help! :idea: