Thread: Sciatica

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Sciatica

Today I go in for my first physical therapy session for my sciatica in the right leg. It hurts when I move around. It is probably going to hurt even more in physical therapy. I don't even know if I am supposed to take my pain killers before I go in today or not. I should call, but it is a toss up whether I will get someone on the phone that can answer that one. I really wonder if this is going to help, or make the sciatica worse, or at best, leave it at the status quo. Have any of you had any relief for this condition from physical therapy? Please let me know -- otherwise this could just be a waste of time.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Physical therapy for sciatica is one of the most common and popular medical treatment options for sciatica. Physical therapy consists of exercises and stretches that will, hopefully, help to restore function and increase mobility and strength. Sciatica patients who participate in physical therapy as part of a combined care approach often have temporary pain relieving benefits. Physical therapy raises the amount of oxygen in the blood. This increased circulation temporarily staves off the effects of oxygen deprivation sciatica, providing the short term relief. There are several different types of treatment that your Physical Therapist can use to relieve your pain. Some of these you can also do yourself at home. Often, your doctor WILL advise you to take some type of anti-inflammatory or analgesic (pain) medication before you see your physical therapist. Doing so will allow your condition to subside a little before therapy begins. Also, short periods of exercise has been known to relieve the pain and the symptoms and then take an extended rest period. Resting for a short while immediately after the pain occurs has also been shown to be helpful in getting the severity of the pain under control. But, gentle movement and walking has been more helpful!
    At any rate, Physical Therapy has been known to be very helpful for those with sciatica. The stretches and movements help to relieve the pain, give more mobility and function as well as reduce flare-ups.
    I wish you the very best in you PT, please let us know how it goes!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Moonbeam (08-27-2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I don't know about this physical therapy! I felt worse after having done the exercises. They put a strain on my neck and left foot. So today I went to the chiropractor and had an adjustment. That made me feel much better than the physical therapy. I am going to give the physical therapy a couple of more sessions. If I don't feel better than, I am probably going to give it up.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I'm sorry to hear that the physical therapy is not providing you with relief. I don't blame you for not continuing if it causes more pain than relief. I'm glad that the adjustments helped you to feel better. Hang in there and keep us posted.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Will go to physical therapy Monday, but if that doesn't go well I am giving up on it. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well I went for my second session and had a different therapist. She was considerably better than the first. The session went well and I returned for my third session yesterday. The therapist said I was making progress. It does seem like my sciatica is somewhat better. The hamstring exercises seem to lessen the attacks. I will go for my fourth and fifth session next week. I'll keep you posted. Wish me luck!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Went to my fourth session. It didn't go as well as former sessions. My left knee was swollen and the therapist taped and iced it. I found out that my left ankle is extremely weak. I wasn't given any exercises to strengthen it though. I bought a flexibility strap for stretching the hamstrings. I hope that will help the sciatica. Had to cancel the fifth session because of a conflicting appt., so I won't be seeing the therapist again until some time in October. This clinic is so booked up, but I don't have an alternative place that is covered by health plan, so I have to go there. Bye for now.