Diagnosis not confirmed yet.
My name is Esther and I am 42 years old. I have 4 children, ages 20, 14, 12 and 12.
My symptoms go back a few years, but I never really connected the dots until about a month ago. It all started about 12 years ago, I think.
1. in 2002, I had a low grade fever for over a week, gained about 10 pounds during that time and had a positive ANA. My doctor at the time said it was probably nothing....
2. I have had aches and pains over the years, but I always managed to ignore them and blamed my lack of energy on being a single mom.
3. 5 years ago, out of the blue, I was diagnosed with Macular Degeneration, the "wet" form, after I noticed some distortion in my left eye. 5 rounds of Lucentis later, I was told I was an odd case, for someone my age. My GP agreed that I was just an odd case with no explanation.
4. I have had a rash on my right shin for over 15 years, that I have treated on my own with Lotrisone, every time it would flare up. I also have a rash on both elbows that showed up about 6 years ago
5. I have chronic, severe scalp dryness, dry patches really, that I've been treating with betamethasone solution for over 8 years.
6. The joint pain started about 3 years ago, making my mornings very difficult. My doctor said I was Vitamin D deficient, and has me on Vit D5000U daily.
7. I have been dealing with acid reflux for the last 6 years or so. I just got used to it.
8. My brain has been in a fog for at least a year. To the point that I don't recognize familiar places.
9. At my last visit to the optometrist, I was told that my glands are not producing enough tears so I was instructed to start using Systane.
10. My current symptoms are: hip, shoulder, elbow and feet pain. Tender spots on my neck and elbows. Bouts of diarrhea followed by constipation. Exhaustion that limits my ability to do any extra activities. I can't sleep and when I do, I don't feel rested.
The joint pain started to really affect my life, to the point that I could no longer ignore it, so I finally decided to "complain" about it about three months ago. My doctor started me on an antidepressant, sent me off to a therapist and ordered some blood work. At the follow-up last month, my doctor said he thinks I might have fibromyalgia and referred me to a rheumatologist. I was seen a couple of weeks ago and after a very thorough visit, the doctor ordered more labs and said that he wants to rule out autoimmune disease. I will be seeing him next week for results. At this point, I'm just trying to educate myself and find others that might be dealing with this condition.
Sorry about the long post, I hope it made some sense.
I'm glad I found this forum