Thread: I'm Confused!

Thanks

Default I'm Confused!

Hi,
    My 4 year old son went to a Dermatologist; he had a biopsy done on one of his spots on his face. He also had some blood work done. The Dermatitis called with the results stating that he tested positive for Discoid lupus, and his blood work was negative.
    Iím confused because the Dermatologist never asked anything about general heath, how he has been feeling, nothing, she didn't even have his medical records. I'm wondering can she tell from just a blood test?
    My son has been off and on complaining about his leg hurts, it seems to be in the same place each time, also tummy aches, pale, over active heart-murmur. What do you think?
    She also stated that with Discoid lupus it's just like being allergic to the sun. Apply sun block every couple hours and keep a hat on him, he'll be fine. I asked her if he could go to water parks and play t-ball and she said yes.
    The Dermatologist also stated that we don't have to see her anymore, only if we can't control his spots. Also their isn't any other Doctors we need to see.
    So what does all this mean to you?
    Thanks,
    Kelly

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

AKCDOAS:
    Did she mean that his blood work was negative for Lupus? But, the biopsy was positive for Discoid Lupus? I am not a doctor so I cannot say why the dermatologist did not do a medical history or if she can make a diagnosis of discoid lupus with just a blood test. However, doing a biopsy on the skin can often tell if lesions are caused by Lupus.
    The symptoms of Discoid Lupus can include: aching muscles, aching joints, chronic fatigue, positive skin biopsy for discoid, butterfly rash, rash on feet (disc-like), reaction to the sun, anemia. If you have a positive ANA with discoid lupus, this will heighten the concern for the possibility of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE). If you are unclear about or not confident about your diagnosis, you should discuss this with your doctor. If you have a rheumatologist, his opinion can clarify the diagnosis of discoid and/or systemic lupus.

Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie

Thanks

It seems well worth a trip to a Rheumatologist to rule out any additional problems for the time being.

Good Luck!
    Missy

Thanks

If the leg pain ISN'T from Lupus, you may want to ask about Perthes disease...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/leg...isease/DS00654
    "All sounds are potentially dangerous.
    All sounds are potentially medicinal.
    All sounds are beautiful." ~Yoko Ono