Thread: My first post/introduction

Thanks

Default My first post/introduction

Good morning, I am new to this forum and wanted to make a quick post to introduce myself. I am a 32 year old mother of two, who was recently diagnosed with lupus. But, I've had autoimmune issues going on since about 2006. I used to work as a chef, but had to give that up, as it was just too physically demanding for my body. I'm having a hard time finding my new normal. I've always been a very active person, I used to do triathlons and run, but now I generally end up limping if I simply try to walk around the block. It is particularly hard having two small kids because I want them to be active too, but going outside seems to really take a toll on me, even if I wear sunblock and protective clothing.

I am thankful to have a diagnosis. Right now I'm on a 60 mg of pred/day and just started taking cellcept. Once my body starts tolerating the cellcept well, my Dr. will also start me on planquenil (sp?). We are hoping to start tapering off the pred in about a month. I also feel very fortunate that I've found a really good rheumatolgist, who has gone above and beyond my expectations. He wasn't my first rheumy, but I'm really glad to have found him. I don't know how "normal" my life will return to once I'm stabilized on meds. I guess I'm just not sure what to expect.

I think I'm still a little shocked about how much of my life this is affecting, and kind of struggling with how to make it work with a busy life.

Thanks for listening!
    Megan

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

hi megan, and welcome.

it is a good thing that your rhuemy is pro-active.
    many of us have had trouble finding someone who will act decisively, and treat our symptoms.

i hope you can lower the pred soon.
    i have found that plaquenil can take 3 to 6 months to really effect our body.
    one day you realise that you do not hurt the same.
    it does not happen overnight ....
    but it is a gradual conditioning created by the plaquenil.

please take some time to look around the site.
    the older posts are our personal history with lupus.
    pleas also ask questions as you feel the need.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (07-03-2014)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello Megan;
    Welcome to our family. I am sorry to hear that you have this disease, but so glad to hear that you have a doctor who is primarily concerned with treating your symptoms and helping you to manage your illness. Steve has given you some good advice and like him, I do hope that you are able to start tapering the Prednisone. Be aware that, for some, tapering can mean the return of some unwanted symptoms. So, they often find that they must remain on a maintenance dosage for a longer period of time. This is often continued in conjunction with the Plaquenil and an immunosuppressant (such as Cellcept).
    I am glad that you found us and decided to join our family. Please make yourself at home, read through the "Sticky" sections at the top of each forum as they are filled with great information and advice. Again.....welcome!!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Welcome Megan,
    My son is a chef so I have some idea how demanding this work can be.
    Hopefully you can at least cook for fun!