Thread: A First Hello

Thanks

Smile A First Hello

Hi Fellow Lupites....Lupians? How about friends,

I sometimes feel like I am foreign to the people in my life who do not think there is anything wrong with me due to their lack of knowledge about lupus.
    We should have a special lupus handshake-- that won't hurt my thumbs! I live overseas where I work on a military base in Japan. I spent 6 years in and out of medical offices to be told that I was just over 40 and out of shape. Flu symptoms, roving arthritis, chest pains, mouth sores, lung issues, rashes and bumps, red face, bladder infections, hair loss.. just feeling like poop and told it was in my head. I have found that many lupus sufferers have the same story-- "You're crazy!"
    I finally got a definitive diagnosis from an intern here in Japan, but I do not have a doctor on base here who has much knowledge of lupus. Plus, I live on a sub-tropical island. The sun is a killer. I scour the internet for information and have tried to make lifestyle changes to help me cope. I look forward to sharing experiences and gaining information from the members here.
    Humor helps.

Rhonda

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hi rhonda and welcome.
    there is quite a few international members on here, so you are not alone.
    there is also quite a few who live in hot environments, so you are not alone.

many of us are used to having trouble finding someone knowledgable,
    but at least the military has the ability to source the correct people for you.

please take some time to read our older posts,
    they are our personal experiences with lupus.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Rhondajean (06-24-2014)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I just wanted to make sure that I, too, welcomed you to our family. We are, indeed, a global family and you will find that there is always someone here when you are in need.
    I've often suggested, when you are faced with doctors who have no knowledge of Lupus, that YOU learn everything about the disease, its treatments, its symptoms, its medications and how it affects you personally. THEN, You educate your doctor and insist that the two of you work together to ensure that you are being taken seriously, that your symptoms are being properly treated, and that the primary goal is to get you as healthy as you can be.
    We are here to help you in any way that we can. Again...welcome and I am glad that you are here with us.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!