Thread: New Member 11 years w/Lupus and recently diagnosed with Nephritis

Thanks

Default New Member 11 years w/Lupus and recently diagnosed with Nephritis

Hello from Northern Cali!!
    I have lived with Lupus since I was 15 years old so going on a 11 years now. Just recently (today) confirmed the severity of my new found nephritis. I have Stage 4 and Stage 5 Lupus Nephritis along with joint issues. I was put on an increase of my prednisone (40mg) Plaquenil, Lisipronil and CellCept(2000mg) to combat the protein overspill going on in my kidneys. I will unfortunately will have to undergo IV Chemo (Cytoxan) to combat the inflammation in the kidneys. I am freaking out to say the least. The last 11 years have been uneventful if anything some joint pain and fatigue. I am hoping to get some information from anybody that might have some insight and positive thoughts on Lupus nephritis.

Thanks in Advance, look forward to learning and helping others understand this disease.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,611 Times in 1,103 Posts

Hi and welcome,

i do not have lupus nephritis ..... but i did want to say hi.
    hopefully some of our members who have it will be along soon to help answer your questions.

in the mean time ..... our search function is located in the top right of the page.
    it is quite effective, and will allow you to search for anything listed on our site.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (06-11-2014)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello and Welcome to our family;
    I do not have Lupus Nephritis either. I do know that some members here have been diagnosed with the condition. Hopefully they will respond to you and provide you with some of their insight. Steve has already suggested that you use our search function. I you type in Lupus Nephritis, all posts relating to that subject will come up. I am sure that you will find a wealth of information there.
    The goal of treatment for Lupus Nephritis is to improve your kidney function and to prevent/delay kidney failure. Medicines for treating the condition usually includes corticosteroids (Prednisone), and othe immunosuppressive meds, such as cyclophosphamide, mycophenolate, mofetil, or azathioprine. Sometimes dialysis is needed to control the symptoms, but this is usually only needed for a while. A kidney transplant is another option, but should only be considered when your Lupus is under control.
    How well you do with this conditions depends on the specific form of Lupus nephritis that you have.
    Stage 4 is advanced kidney disease. The primary goals are to improve kidney function and to rebuild the immune system. The above listed treatments address those goals. It is also important to control your blood pressure with Stage 4. Again, prognosis depends upon how quickly kidney function can be improved and how quickly the immune system can be rebuilt. Of course, you should do all within your power to avoid flare up (avoid stress, control your blood pressure, etc.)
    I wish you the very best and please keep us posted on how you are doing!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Look For The Good and Praise It!

Thanks

Thank you so much! Look forward to learning and exchanging info!

Thanks

Hello..... I just finished with the cytoxan treatment. I too have stage 4 nephritis. Honestly the steroids bothered me more than the chemo did. I did not lose any hair and it did not make me sick. However, the prednisone caused lots of weight gain and made my hormones go crazy! Now I'm at the point where we wait and see if it all worked....I am only on Cellcept right now. I really hope my kidneys stay stable, if not then we go for round two. I don't know if I'm up for that or not. I just want to get back to my normal self. Good luck and if you have any questions you can ask away