Thread: stressed and confused

Thanks

Default stressed and confused

Hi, Let me start by saying I am new to using any forums this is my very first so bare with me. Now I am a 29yr old wife and mother of two. I have not yet got a for sure diagnosis of Lupus but am scheduled to see a rheumatologist at the end of June. this all started over a year ago when my fingers started splitting open which was very painful. I like most mothers waited until just recently to go to the doctor and only then because I began having symptoms of raynauds syndrome. After seeing the doc he verified the Raynauds Diagnosis and ordered a series of labs to be drawn. Most everything came back Okay, well everything except my ANA which was 1.320 with a Speckaled pattern, and my ESR which was 21. after spending a good while talking to my doc he informed me that alot of the symptoms I was brushing off to being a mom and not getting enough sleep and just "over doing things" were all also symptoms to Lupus. Like I said I am not one to run to the doc for every ailment so when he informed me that the fatigue I had assumed was related to working different shifts than my husband and taking care of the babies and all my babysitting kids, fatigue to the point that I am afraid to sit down most days in fear of falling asleep was the number one symptom of Lupus. and the body aches and pains, it takes me a good while to get moving in the mornings due to these pains, I assumed that that is how a 30 year old is suppose to feel, after all I have never been great at taking care of myself anyway. and the headaches all stress, but maybe now not? there are several other symptoms, my lymph nodes swell with no explanation other than "infection somewhere" I do get foggy brain from time to time, (if you had 10-12 kids running around all day everyday I think you would too lol) but there are just so many things that could be anything or now could be this. Im not sure how I am to feel, I am scared, curious, worried, but most of all stressed over this upcomming apt. so my question if I made any sense at all, what are some of your thoughts? is there enough there for me to be concerned that I have Lupus? I know they say knowledge is the key but goodness I can only read so much before I start to make myself nauseus from worry. any and all comments are appreciated. I have never been one to complain about my aches and pains so I feel like I am just whinning about them all now lol I assure you thats not the case Im just a little scared is all because so little is known or being said right now. Thanks in advance.

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,743 Times in 1,212 Posts

Hello and welcome! Lupus is one of those diseases that has symptoms that could be so many things we are always going to tell you not to worry until you know. We are also going to tell you that you know your body and to stop ignoring things.

make a symptom journal starting today. Begin to write down everything so you can give it to the doctor. You are going to be overwhelmed when you go in and the "foggy brain" ( we actually have a very funny thread on here about that) will stop you from remembering everything when you get there. Whether it is Lupus or not you need to figure out what this is. Don't let anyone stand in your way or make you feel like these things are not important. You can't take care of your family if you are not healthy.

Stay here, ask questions and keep is updated
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (05-21-2014)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to our family!
    I agree with everything that Tgal mentioned to you. We cannot tell you if your symptoms are due to Lupus or another auto-immune disorder. However, the symptoms of most of them are very similar (as are the treatments). I have to also reiterate that it is very important that you take care of you. You cannot ignore your symptoms and you must listen to your body (you know your body better than anyone else). It sounds as if your doctor is pretty knowledgeable and I hope that your Rheumatologist is also. However, you are right, knowledge is one of your best weapons and will alleviate so much of the fear of the unknown and the stress that this fear can cause.
    If you do get a diagnosis of Lupus (or any other auto-immune disorder), this is not a death sentence. It may mean that you will have to make some lifestyle changes in order to help to manage your illness and you will have to fine a "new normal" for you; one that helps you to avoid flare-ups and/or developing new symptoms. It would also be a good idea for you to educate your family so that they will understand what you are dealing with.
    We are here to help you in any way that we can and to provide you with information, advice, and support. I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!