Thread: Don't want to waste my money...

Thanks

Default Don't want to waste my money...

Has anyone tried a hand massaging machine? I found something called an iPalm that you put your hand in and it uses acupressure techniques combined with heat to massage one hand.

If you haven't used a machine like this does going to a massage place help your joint pain?

My biggest complaints with my SLE is fatigue & joint pain. My hands are the worst, but it also hits my elbows, wrists, hips, knees, ankles, & feet. Nsaids don't touch the inflammation, pain pills & steroids help, but that's not a long term solution, and frankly I don't feel I get enough relief to put up with the side effects.

On a regular day I wake up with my hands stiff in claws. After I use them a bit the pain and stiffness lessens, on these days I could see benefiting from a massage however I can not afford a personal masseuse, nor to go to a massage parlor daily. On the horrible days any touch is excruciating even and especially massage, so the machine would never work on those days, but perhaps it would lessen the amount of horrible days with daily use?

Does anyone use a tens unit on their hands? Would it be better to buy a $30 tens unit rather than a $130 hand massager?

Thanks for reading!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Have you tried soaking in hot water? That has always helped me. Haven't used any massage machines. Massages always hurt so much to me. Hope you figure it all out for yourself.

Hugs and Good thoughts

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,118 Posts

2 other options to consider .....I currently use a circulation booster.this works by pulsing, and therefore flexing the muscles.it is one of the models that is designed for your feet, but has pads for other parts of the body.I also purchased gloves for my hands.I love this machine .....and use it regularly.the other option is one I have purchased, but has not been delivered yet.it is a 1Khz ultrasound machine.it is a hand held model designed for face wrinkles.I have been advised to use this on my inflamed muscles,and plan to use it on my knee ....this is the worst area of my body, and the circulation booster is too small to work effectively on such a large area at once.the circulation booster is not cheap, but a lot of chemists offer a trial before you buy.the ultrasound can be purchased fairly cheaply from china on internet.just remember to use enough gel, or you will burn the inside of yourself.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Thanks

Soaks make me feel worse. It probably takes the pain away, but then brings it back and it feels ten times worse.

Thanks

Yes, I agree with Nonna, the massages can really hurt. I think pulsing is more what I'm looking for! Thanks Steve B.
    The ultrasound sounds a bit scary with the risk of burning! Thanks for the advice!

Thanks

I have tried them.. but not for the lupus, I found things like paraffin wax treatments on hands and wrist help so much.. some people do it with there feet, ankles, and elbow's, too.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I love my tens unit! That, combined with the heating pad is the only thing that gets my back out of spasm. I haven't used it on my hands, I prefer a heating pad for that, but for my back, knee and neck, I turn to the tens.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I have gone to a school for massage therapy. The students give the massages at a reduced price for class credits. I have gone on days when I am not in excruciating pain. It helps temporarily for about a week then the pain comes back. I found that I have to go on a weekly basis for it to be really effective. This got too costly for me. I don't go at the present time because of the cost. You do have to tell them to be very gentle and explain that you have lupus, fibromyalgia, or whatever plagues you.