Thread: Itching is driving me CRAZY!

Thanks

Default Itching is driving me CRAZY!

My Lupus is quiescent 3 years after 1st symptoms, and almost 2 years after dx and starting treatment. Very Grateful. But another annoying autoimmune, non-lupus problem has emerged that is truly crazy-making. Since winter, I have itchy skin, and develop lovely raised patches if I inadvertently bother them. (I should take out stock in Cortisone.) Atopic dermatitis is autoimmune, but not related to lupus. My wonderful rheumy offers no advice for this beyond what I am doing (cortisone cream). I live in a very dry climate, and the symptoms improved for 2 weeks when I was in high humidity.

Anyone else?

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Don't you just love it when you go to the Dr. and they give you no suggestions on what to use or do for the problem that you came to them in the first place to get treated for (besides what you on your own have tried)?

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,616 Times in 1,106 Posts

hate to disagree with doctors ....... but itchy skin is a common problem for many of us lupus sufferers.remember lupus can affect any organ of the body ...... and the largest organ in our body is our skin.I have regular issues with itchy and / or dry skin.regular long term cortisone skin can sometimes cause skin thinning .....so in an order to find alternatives, I have started using olive oil soap.this is pure olive oil without any fragrances or additives.this works well for me, when the itching is not too severe.but not fully effective when severe agitation.sometimes I need to use it 2 or 3 times a day, but it is worth considering.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

chikititalinda (05-13-2014), Saysusie (05-16-2014)

Thanks

By accident I have discovered that pure coconut oil (good quality) rubbed into the skin will help inflammation. hope this might help as I have had a severe rash for over a month now and cannot get a diagnosis. A bathwith bentonite clay too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elli For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (05-16-2014)

Thanks

I have the same problems with itching, dry skin and hives. I am also allergic to parabens and those are in a lot of skin products. My dermatologist gave me these instructions more than 10 years ago and they do help: drink lots of water, only use Dove soap for sensitive skin, use Vanicream as a moisturizer for your body, do not take showers with hot water - keep it on the cooler side and use the Vanicream while your skin is still moist from toweling off. Vanicream is a heavy cream but it's not oily. I use it on my face and neck too. I don't use any other moisturizers for my face and body and it helps me to keep my skin hydrated. The only other cream I use is on my hands, I use "No Crack" on them because they are severely dry and can crack and bleed easily. If you have a Walmart in your area, they sell Vanicream. I hope this is helpful to you - good luck, I hope you feel better soon.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I never have found anything that stops my itchy skin either and I have tried lots of different things. I have so many different creams and soaps I could open a store. None of them work very well. I am going to try some of the ideas here that I haven't tried already.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

A couple of things that have really helped me.
    really good body wash/soap I use dove
    A daily lotion regimen
    benadryl
    corona multi-ointment- totally this stuff has saved me. You can buy it at walgreens or walmart just ask the pharmacy counter, you don't need a prescription it's just behind the counter. I swear by this amazing stuff. My discoid rash loves to go in my ears and nothing got rid of the scabs and eventually my ears would get infected. Corona is seriously the only thing I have ever found that works, I use it for dry skin on my feet, for itching, for cuts/scabs, rashes.

After 9 years I have finally found a perfect combination that works to combat that annoying itching skin.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mica For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (05-16-2014)