Thread: First time poster

Thanks

Default First time poster

Hi all:

Just joined and am not all that computer literate. Hope to meet some new people who can identify with what I am going through. Have not been diagnosed officially with lupus, my reumatologist says she can't say I have lupus or can't say I don't. Is treating me with plaquenil for the past year with some improvement in symptoms at least initially. Have had fibromylgia for over 18 years and everything continued to be blamed on it even though my symptoms were greater than was indicated for that particular syndrome. Am prsently not working due to illness and am a clinical social worker who was in private practice contracting with the federal government. Have had to work around my illness for at least 15 years and finally things got too bad and have not worked for the past several months. Constantly in pain and have mobility issues. On the list for two knee replacements which is supposed to happen in the next few months. I am really worried about surgury as I am having so many other symptoms from my lupus? and also have multiple allergies. Is anyone out there experiencing similar situation?

Thanks

We are glad that you found this web site. You will be encourged and uplifted here, I am.
    Your friend in Texas, Jessica

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi beautifulbeluga :lol:
    Welcome to our site, we are happy that you found us.
    You should know that Lupus is a very difficult disease to diagnose for many reasons. The disease itself changes and the symptoms come and go. Further, there are no definate tests which say yes you do or no you don't. There are eleven criteria used to help doctors make a diagnosis, of those eleven, you must present with at least four of them. Further, each patient's lupus is different, none of us have a standard set of symptoms - we all suffer from different symptoms at different times. Our Lupus can cover the gamut from just affecting small parts of our skin to damaging our internal organs to being fatal.
    Some of us have waited weeks for a final diagnosis and some of us have waited for years for a final diagnosis.
    There are forums on this site which explain the tests used in diagnosis, the eleven criteria, the medications/treatments and the various symptoms. I hope that they are able to answer most of your questions. If not, let us know and we will research your questions and provide the best answers that we can.
    In the meantime, know that you are not alone! The people here are very supportive, understanding and informative and all of us have been where you are at some point.
    Peace and Blessings
    Saysusie