Thread: Newbie

Thanks

Default Newbie

Dear members,
    I would like to introduce myself to you. I am 65 years young, a female. I have Sjogren's, arthritis, COPD, Diabetes,Asmatic, and I am on Oxygen 24/7. I These last couple of years have been hard on my body but especially in the fall and the winter months. I currently have been having a bout with Sjogren's and Arthritis, and my Rumey has suggested that I start taking Methotrexate. After reading the literature I can see where others have gotten better after using it, and yet, there seems to be a lot of fear about starting the drug. I was fine with it until I aw the many cons involved. such as developing coronary problems, liver damage, changes in bone marrow, pre-kidney disease, and blood cell changes and a decrease in white cells which in turn gives you a minus in fighting infection.
    Thank you for being so candid in your symptoms and for sharing concerns and what is happening to those who have chosen to take the meds.
    Your comments have helped me make a decision for myself, and I will be rejecting this drug . There is just way too much to take the risk.
    I will be reading new comments and reviewing more old ones. I would love to keep involved with those of you that are willing to share. It never hurts to help each other threw these phases of our lives.
    Tauna, Idaho

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,645 Times in 1,130 Posts

hi tauna, and welcome.

i am glad to hear you have made a positive decision.
    do you have other options instead.

welcome to our site ......
    it is good to have friends to bounce ideas through
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hello and welcome to our family!
    There are alternatives to Methotrexate. However, please understand that every single medication has it's own set of side effects. You are not going to find any medication that does not have warnings about its side effects. Listed side effects do not mean that any person will get or have all of those listed, some have many side effects and others tolerate the drug very well.
    What generally occurs is that the patient will take the medication, monitor their side effects (this will also include regular blood tests to determine if the drug is causing any damage) and consider the benefits that they have felt using the drug, and then that person (with their doctor) will decide if a dosage change must be made, if the medication needs to be stopped and replaced with something else, or if the benefits far outweigh the side effects.
    Although methotrexate was originally designed as a chemotherapy drug (in high doses), in low doses methotrexate is a generally safe and well tolerated drug in the treatment of Lupus and other autoimmune diseases. Because of its effectiveness, low-dose methotrexate is now first-line therapy for the treatment of Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. Although methotrexate for autoimmune diseases is taken in lower doses than it is for cancer, side effects such as hair loss, nausea, headaches, and skin pigmentation are still common. Multiple studies and reviews showed that the majority of people receiving methotrexate for up to one year had less pain, functioned better, had fewer swollen and tender joints, and had less disease activity overall.
    Some alternatives to Methotrexate include drugs such as: Azathioprine (Imuran) - Cytoxin - Prednisone -Cyclosporin -Cellcept. But, as I mentioned above, all of these drugs come with their own list of side-effects. Please discuss with your doctor what might be viable alternatives for you because to not treat those symptoms that the Methotrexate was considered for could be a very serious and dangerous decision.
    I wish you the very best!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie

Look For The Good and Praise It!