Thread: ciprofloxacin and temporary mctd reversal??

Thanks

Question ciprofloxacin and temporary mctd reversal??

Hi,

I haven't been on any forums for a long time after one of my online mctd buddies passed away. Anyway, I have been dealing with mixed connective tissue disease mainly with lupus manifestations and now thyroid issues to top it off. Recently I was exposed to someone with menengitis and had to take Ciprofloxacin as a precaution. (I wasn't sick).

Now, something odd happened which has got me wondering. . . . Within hours of taking the antibiotic I felt great. For the first time since diagnosis (2005) and certainly in well over 15 years I felt well, really normal not the new sle normal. I had forgotten what that was like.

I had energy, I was motivated, my muscles didn't ache, I was happy and Brain fog was gone. I actually cleaned the house, wrote some of my book, played with the kids and felt still normal. not exhausted, not wrung out nor sore. This continued the whole time I took the drug and then like a sad and distant memory within a day of stopping the medication it disappeared and within three days I was back to my tired, old mctd self.

I am going to ask my doctor if I can try the medication again just to see if this was the cause. I know the Marshall protocol suggests that some unknown bacteria or immune may cause lupus but this is the first time anything like this has happened to me. I have taken antibiotics but never with such a change.

Just wanted to know if this had happened to anyone else and what you all think.

thank you for reading.

JM

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

This has not happened to me, but you are not the first person to find that antibiotics relieved their symptoms. Using antibiotics as a treatment for Lupus is not a new therapy and has been around for some time. The concern is that the body will build up a resistance to the antibiotic and then it will stop working. Hence, doctors now usually prescribe plaquenil, prednisone, and sometimes methotrexate as their "go to" initial treatment plans for Lupus.
    I agree, do discuss this with your doctor. Please let us know what you and he decide.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!