Thread: Anyone go for message therapy and does it help?

Hybrid View

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Anyone go for message therapy and does it help?

I am asking if anyone goes to have regular messages? My dear husband sent me away for a spa week end with a dear friend. She lives in flordia while we live in pennsylvania so we only see each other ever couple years. I had a message the day we came home so I was nice and relaxed to come home to my husband and three girls. Them message therapist said my entire body was really tight shoulders to toes. It felt great that day. Now the last two day have been hard I'm really sore and tender. He suggested looking into medical message. Knowing that it wouldn't benefit him I live over three hours away. Is it worth bothering the doctor over? Which would I call pcp or ruehmy? I really hate to go through the pain for my muscles to tighten right back up. Because the day of the message I felt great the drive from the spa to airport then home didn't even bother me which ended up being four and half hours of driving. Usually that long in the car I can hardly move. I got home sprung out of the car and didn't even have to ask my husband to get my bag. Guess I'm just looking for some feed back or others thoughts.
    Last edited by flower21clr; 04-09-2014 at 06:23 AM.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,641 Times in 1,127 Posts

i have found that "deep tissue" massage is not good for lupus suffers.

the reason behind this is that deep issue works on the layers of muscles, and these are inflamed.
    this massage irritates an already inflamed muscle, making it more severely inflamed.

soft aromatherapy massages are good,
    as these do not work as deep into the muscle layers.
    this type of massage helps to align the muscles, without inflaming them.
    the effectiveness of this soft tissue massage is a lot shorter,
    but it is a very relaxing method. and relieves a lot of built up stress points.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve.b For This Useful Post:

flower21clr (04-09-2014), n.mac (04-12-2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Thank you for the information I'm not sure if what he did was deep tissue or not. He was aware I had lupus and that's why he was doing my massage. He was the spas head message therapist. He spent a lot of time on my feet which I found odd but they have felt great the one part that isn't achy. They have hurt for a while my arches and toes, to the point I have bought several new pairs of shoes and hung up even my kitten heal when I get dresses up. That's tough being five foot I usually like a small heel when dressing up for church or special occasions. Thanks again a long soak in the tub has made this morning better.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

I get massages quite often. I usually do a combination: deep tissue in my shoulders and neck areas and soft tissue throughout the rest of my body. My therapist also spends a lot of time on my feet. They say that all parts of your body are affected by your feet and massaging certain points on your feet have benefits to the rest of your body. I also get a scalp massage (I suffer greatly from migraines and the scalp massage is like a trip to heaven for me - lol).

I, personally, recommend massages (especially, as Steve suggested, aromatherapy and soft tissue massages) for persons with Lupus and/or Fibromyalgia.

I'm not sure why your muscles are so painful now. That has never happened to me. Perhaps someone has some advice for you in this area. I wish you the best,

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

flower21clr (04-09-2014)

Thanks

Hi Flower,

Just curious...did you drink a lot of water after your massage? I know from the massages I've had the therapist recommends drinking a ton of water afterwards. The thought process is the massage releases toxins from the muscles and into the lymphatic system. If you don't hydrate you aren't flushing the toxins out and they are reabsorbed back into the muscles. The result is very sore muscles, almost like what you would feel like a day after a very intense exercise session. I learned this lesson the hard way after my first massage. Hope you feel better soon!
    Last edited by fourbirds; 04-10-2014 at 06:28 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fourbirds For This Useful Post:

steve.b (04-11-2014)