Thread: Service dog debut

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Service dog debut

Karma made his first official Service Dog "debut" this weekend. The company I work for sponsored a booth at the local Home and Garden Show and Karma and I manned the booth for a few hours on Saturday. He was PHENOMENAL!!!!! The aisles were shoulder to shoulder and Karma navigated his way through like a pro, blocking and keeping me from falling when people inadvertantly knocked into me. At the booth, he either slept or sat quietly watching everyone. He had never been in that type of environment before, nor around so many people and he behaved as if he had been doing it his entire life. I am sooooo proud of him!!!!!! I took him to the dog park first to let him run off some energy and that probably helped. Afterwards he got to pick out a new treat- positive reward for positive behaviour! Karma is almost 10 months old now and weighs over 80 pounds. I call him a "shetland pony in a dog costume". He is so solid! Still thinks he's a lap puppy so he has to climb on my lap at least once an evening for snuggles. That lasts until my legs go numb or he decides to do something else. I couldn't ask for a better service dog!
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (04-07-2014), steve.b (04-08-2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I am so jealous. To have such an extraordinary animal to care for you. You are so lucky and blessed.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

I do feel blessed to have Karma! The decision to get a service dog, much less raise and train my own was no easy decision. I prayed, cried and anguished over the decision for years. When I finally did make the choice I knew that I wanted the pup to pick me. So sitting on the floor, surrounded by 9 black lab pups, Karma was the one who crawled up my lap, up my chest, looked me in the eyes and started "talking" to me. He was making all kinds of puppy sounds, never taking his eyes off me the entire time. That sealed the deal. Our bond was immediate and strong.
    "I'm going to get healthy or die trying"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruziska For This Useful Post:

Nonna (04-07-2014), Saysusie (04-07-2014), steve.b (04-08-2014)

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

How beautiful!! The way Karma picked you. It sounds as if it were a bond and that the two of you were meant to be together! I am happy for you both.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

ruziska (04-08-2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Karma sounds like a "pro" to me and a perfect match for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moonbeam For This Useful Post:

ruziska (04-08-2014)