Thread: New to the lupus community...

Hybrid View

Thanks

Cool New to the lupus community...

Hi everyone. I'm kinda new to this. I just wanted to find a place where other people understand what I'm going through and get some much needed advice. About 5 months ago, my PCP diagnosed me with RA. In january i had an appointment with my rhumotologist who confirmed i had RA but wanted to run ferther blood tests to be sure before i start treatment. My resluts came back and she told me i had lupus and something called mixed connective tissue disease. My family, on mothers side and fathers, has no history of any type of autoimmune diseases, so this came as a shock to me. I'm not sure what type of lupus I have caused my rhumatologist didn't specify. But could someone please tell me what to expect. What kind of questions to ask my doctor. What med's work and which one don't. Thanks guys!!

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

First of all, I'd like to welcome you to our family. I am sorry that you've been diagnosed with this disease, but I am happy that you came to us. We, of course, are here to help you in any way that we can and to offer you support and understanding. Please take a moment to read through the "sticky" sections at the top of each forum. They are filled with wonderful information and may answer some of your questions.
    In response to your question about what you should ask your doctor, Here are some of the most common questions to ask your doctor about your Lupus:

1. Could any medications that I'm taking be triggering or aggravate my Lupus?
    2. Could another condition be causing my lupus symptoms?
    3. Has the disease already damaged my kidneys or other organs?
    4. Should I have a bone density test?
    5. Should I be taking calcium or other supplements?
    6. How long will I need to take these lupus drugs?
    7. Is it safe for me to become pregnant if I have lupus? Are my lupus medications safe to take while Iím pregnant?
    8. How often should I have checkups?
    9. What lifestyle changes do you recommend?
    10. What do my lab results show?
    11. Do I need any other tests?
    12. What's the purpose of these tests and how do I prepare?
    13. What treatment do you recommend and why?
    14. How likely is this treatment to help me and how will I know if it's working?
    15. What are my other treatment options?
    16. What are the common risks and side effects of this medication? How do they compare to the other treatments?
    17. Which lupus symptoms or drug side effects are serious, and what should I do if I have them?
    18. How do I reach you in an emergency?
    19. What should I do if I miss a dose of my medication?
    20. Are there foods, herbs, medications, or activities to avoid while on this drug?
    21. When should I expect to feel better? If I don't, what are the next steps?
    22. Will my plan pay for this medication? How much does it cost?
    23. When should I return for a follow-up appointment?

This list covers just about everything you will need to know at the onset of your doctor/patient relationship. Of course, as this relationship grows and as you are learning how to manage your Lupus, other questions may become relevant.
    I hope that this has been helpful. Please let us know if you need anything further.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!