Thread: Shooting pain from lower back to both legs

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Default Shooting pain from lower back to both legs

The last couple of weeks I have been getting shooting pain from my lower back to both legs when either standing still, like doing the dishes or when taking a walk. I am wondering if this might be sciatica! Anyway, I made an appointment with my Dr., but can't get in until the end of this month. I may have to go to urgent care if it gets much worse before then. Just one more thing on top of all the other medical issues that are ongoing! Sometimes I feel like I am losing my mind. I guess I need to slow down, and try to relax, but it is difficult when you feel like you are drowning in a myriad of to dos.

Blog Entries
    Thanks

You may also have a pinched nerve. But you most likely really need to see the doctor.
    Hugs and good thoughts,

Thanks

This to me sounds like some sort of nerve compression taking place in the spine. I don't think I'm allowed to post links, but you can jump on google and search differed pain from the spine (I'd look through images for links) and it should bring up diagrams (that physicians also refer to) that show what levels cause pain in other locations of the body. It could be helpful to help you "chart" where the pain leads to (besides the obvious) and telling this to your doctor can help him make a more accurate diagnosis vs bland symptoms--for instance if it runs down the outer portion of your legs, what part of your feet, any buttocks involvement etc. sometimes it can be a multi level issue. Being able to adequately convey your symptoms helps you and your doctor become a better team & thus provides better treatment for yourself.

I'm not sure where you reside, but I know here in IL our emergency rooms do not preform MRI's (probably because if insurance) they may prescribe prednisone or another steroid that helps with inflammation & pain medication. If you're able to (if you're allowed to take nsaids & the like) it might be beneficial to try OTC anti-inflammatories and icing down your lower back. It might provide moderate temporary relief.

It's funny you mentioned dishes! I've dealt with spine issues for years & now recently my husband-and for some reason the whole slightly leaning over the sink stance aggravates the heck out of your lower back!
    Always be sure to lift with bent knees, maybe use a step stool to sit & do dishes and wear flat shoes when walking or going out. It might not seem like it would make much of a difference but shoes are everything when it comes to lower back pain-I have found that the egg-crate flip flops (thong sandals) are great just wearing around the house or putsing around out my yard in.

Best of luck, hope some of that helps! I would encourage you to seek the opinion of your doctor-there are so many things that can be going on within the spine that we are unaware of. If you start experiencing any numbness or tingling in your lower extremities I would seek out prompt medical attention.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bakedtater08 For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (03-26-2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Well I decided to go to the Urgent Care today. The Dr. had X-rays taken of my lower back and said he saw nothing wrong. He thinks I either have a pinched nerve or back spasms. He prescribed Neproxin, an anti-inflammatory. He said to take it for a week or two and see if this condition settles down. In the meantime, he is waiting to see what the radiologist has to say. Well I took the Neproxin and it made me feel loopy. This may have been because of the other prescriptions I take also or maybe it is the Neproxin itself. At this point, I can see I can't drive on it, and I got really sleepy and had no energy. I got home around 2 pm and slept for 4 hours which is unusual for me. I usually don't sleep during the daytime because I just don't feel right when I get up for the rest of the day. Anyway, we will see how it goes. I hope my body gets used to this drug and that I don't continue to get loopy on it.

Thanks

X-rays are a good start but they also don't show everything (I had several recent spinal X-rays that were "normal" but my ortho sent me for an MRI (and a bonescan), low and behold a herniated disc was closing off my spinal canal to the extent I had to have urgent surgery--not meant to scare anyone or saying its the case, but to explain that X-rays don't show soft tissues nearly as well as cts or MRI's). Perhaps seeing an orthopedic might be a good idea-a pinched nerve indeed, they might help you to determine what's "pinching" it. Naproxen is great for back pain-but it is very hard on the stomach. Eating before you take it might alievate some of the drowsiness (and protect your tummy). It's also offered OTC in lower dosages-might be worth discussing with your doctor if it becomes too troublesome for you on the higher dosage. I'm not sure if you're a guy or a gal, but if you happen to take midol (period relief) make sure it doesn't contain naproxen-one contains Tylenol and the other (complete, I think it's called-which says it also helps relieve arthritis pain) contains it as well! Might be common knowledge but I myself was surprised after getting ill taking it while on perscription naproxen for my heart. Hopefully I'm allowed to post a link (I apologize if I'm not) but here is some info from mayo clinic about sciatica that you may find helpful : http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...n/con-20026478
    Last edited by Bakedtater08; 03-20-2014 at 12:17 AM.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bakedtater08 For This Useful Post:

Moonbeam (03-26-2014), Saysusie (03-26-2014)

Blog Entries
    Thanks

Seeing my regular doctor tomorrow about the shooting pains in my legs. I am going to see if she can put me on another med as the Neproxin makes me loopy. I hope they can get to the bottom of this and find out if it's muscle spasms, a pinched nerve, or what!

Blog Entries
    Thanks

My primary doctor said I have sciatica. She says it should resolve itself. It does seem to be getting better by not exerting my body much.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

For your edification, I am providing you information about the relationship between Sciata and Lupus. I got this from HEALTH GUID INFO.COM. I hope that it is helpful to you.

The Relationship Between Lupus and Sciatica written by: efrontiers • edited by: Donna Cosmato • updated: 2/15/2011

There exists a relationship between sciatica and lupus, but this subject is only supported by limited research. Sciatica is actually a set of symptoms that may be caused by autoimmune disorders such as lupus. These cases are so uncommon; nevertheless, the treatment may not be so different.slide 1 of 7The link between lupus and sciatica is not heavily researched. Although lupus is one of the causes of damage to the sciatic nerve, there exists very limited research about the relationship between sciatica and lupus.slide 2 of 7LupusLupus is a chronic, autoimmune disease that can damage any part of the body but most specifically the skin, joints, kidneys and other internal organs. Because lupus, also medically known as Systemic lupus erythematosus or SLE, is an autoimmune disorder, this disease indicates that there is a problem with the body’s normal immune system response. Since this disorder is chronic, the symptoms of lupus usually last longer than six weeks and can even extend to several years. In lupus, the problem with the immune system is that it cannot tell the difference between foreign invaders like bacteria and viruses and your body’s healthy tissues. Because of this dysfunction, the body produces antibodies that can potentially destroy the healthy tissues of the body. This results in pain, inflammation and other symptoms. Lupus is a disease of flares, where symptoms can make the sufferer feel ill. It is not contagious. With proper medical care, one can manage this disease and lead a full life.slide 3 of 7SciaticaBased on the definition of PubMed Health, sciatica is a symptom of another underlying medical problem. This refers to the weakness, pain, numbness or tingling in one’s leg caused by injury to or compression of the sciatic nerve. Although this might be mistaken for a medical condition, sciatica is not a medical condition on its own.Ads by GoogleProven Sciatica TreatmentRelieve Sciatica Nerve Pain withOur Unrivaled 30-Minute Procedure.northamericanspine.com/SciaticaEasy Sciatica StretchesLearn about the Causes of Sciatica.Request An Instant Sciatica Guide!mysciaticaexercises.com/SciaticaSciatica Exercises?Stop: What You MUST know Beforeattempting to Treat your Sciatica:www.sciaticainstitute.org The sciatic nerve starts from the spine to the back of each leg. This nerve controls the muscles located at the back of the knee and lower legs. Furthermore, this nerve provides sensation to the sole of the foot, lower legs, and the back of the thighs. Sciatica is actually a common form of low back pain and leg pain. As a set of symptoms rather than a medical condition, it signals that something is not right within the body. The treatment of sciatica varies based on the underlying cause.slide 4 of 7The Relationship between Sciatica and LupusSciatica is not a very common symptom of lupus. While the majority of lupus patients do not experience problems with the sciatic nerve, special cases of sciatica with uncommon causes may be connected with autoimmune disorders. One of the autoimmune disorders that can cause damage to the sciatic nerve is lupus erythematosus. Although the case of sciatica among lupus patients might be extremely rare, the usual treatment and pain management for lupus can effectively control sciatica in them. By employing NSAIDs and other non-medical approaches to alleviate the pain and symptoms, these rare cases of sciatica can be properly managed.slide 5 of 7The Confusion Between Sciatica and Arthritis Pain from LupusThe most common form of pain associated with lupus is pain from arthritis. Although sometimes confused with each other, sciatica and arthritis pain are actually very different. Sciatica is a form of radicular pain due to a pinched sciatic nerve. This kind of pain should only be experienced exclusively at the back of the leg, not in front or side. Arthritis pain, on the other hand, is dull and achy. The intensity of the pain may vary and the pain can be experienced in the back as well as in other parts of the leg.slide 6 of 7ConclusionSciatica is a set of symptoms that can be very painful. Extremely rare cases of sciatica might be caused by autoimmune disorders such as lupus. It is, however, important to diagnose sciatica correctly among lupus patient for proper treatment. This is because sciatica might be confused with the more common arthritis pain experienced by most lupus sufferers.

I hope this was helpful to you

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Moonbeam (04-03-2014)