Thread: Lab Results

Thanks

Default Lab Results

I am 43 yrs old. I have been in a lot of pain for the past 2 yrs. finally, I decided to see a rheumatologist after trying cortisone injections, physical therapy, nerve blockage, etc.

My labs came back today with the following:

ANA Screen IFA- positive
    Anti nuclear Titter - 1.8
    ANA Pattern- Homogeneous

Does this mean I have lupus? Btw, my mom tested positive to lupus before passing 6 yrs ago and her maternal cousin had lupus. My sister has Rheumatoid Arthritis but my RA blood work came back negative.

Thanks

Hi Alopez, I am 43 also and was just diagnosed with Sle/Raynauds in January with the same exact blood results along with the majority of the criteria the rhuemies classify us having lupus. I had a back injury back in 2008 (torn disc,bulging disc, herniation,etc)and have had injections, nerve blocks, burning of the nerves,etc. I was diagnosed with arthritis, fibromyalgia, etc in 2009 but my joints and body just continually aches. I had been having the rashes all over, chest pain for which I was hospitalized, eyes dryer than normal, hair loss, etc. I finally decided to see a rheumatologist and she has been wonderful in trying to get my meds on the right track. I am currently taking plaquenil,Methlyprednisolone,and just started the methotrexate injections this past Thursday night. I am up and down due to stress.. But I am hopeful now that this is the right way to go. Just be sure and be honest with your doctors and tell them everything no matter how dumb or crazy you may feel. It is so important for them to see the whole picture. We all want answers to why we feel so crappy so no matter what the answer is, there is help and a way to make it better!! Hugs to you!

tgal is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Solar System
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,211 Posts

Hi Alopez. I wish I could answer that question for you but it isn't that simple. There currently is no single test for Lupus. That blood work will give your doctor more clues to the puzzles but will not give a diff unitive answer on their own. A person must meet at least 4 of the 11 criteria for diagnosing Lupus before a doctor can diagnose them AND all other reasons for having those symptoms have to have been ruled out. This is why it is often times very difficult to get a diagnosis for the disease. I will say that your blood work is something your doctor will look at closely, especially if you haveother symptoms

here is a list of the official criteria but as any good doctor knows there are so many other things to look at and things that give clues. Hope this informations helps!

http://forum.wehavelupus.com/showthr...upus-Diagnosis

Keep eps us posted!
    Mari

Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.

~Winston Churchill~

4. The Following User Says Thank You to tgal For This Useful Post:

Saysusie (03-26-2014)