Thread: New...daughter of a wonderful filled with Lupus for many years, hoping for answers

Thanks

Default New...daughter of a wonderful filled with Lupus for many years, hoping for answers

Hello, I name is Debbi, I first of all would like to say what a WONDERFUL site this is....so filled with information. I am hoping that many of you will have answers for me, my mother is 70 years old, she has had systemic and discoid lupus for many years, and on so many different medications, including cellcept for along time. My question is, she has protein in her urine now, and I know that is a sign of kidney failure, I am very concerned, she has many health issues, she went into hospital for clearance for a back surgery last year in October, they found a tear in her heart valve, did open heart surgery to repair it, the day after surgery she went on life support, for three months, long story cut short, she has many health factors that are high risk for anything to go wrong with her. At this time, she is unable to walk due to not having back surgery, so she is very weak. As you can tell from my rambling that I am scared for her and just looking for support from one of you. Maybe my question is, does this mean that she is going into kidney failure and will need dialysis, she is seeing her kidney doctor, but they have not said anything yet, sorry for the long going rambling message
    God Bless you may we all stay strong

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Hi Debbi;
    Unfortunately, we cannot tell you what your mother's kidney prognosis could be. It would depend upon the levels of protein found in her urine.
    When the doctor sends a urine sample for examination he/she is looking for blood in the urine, protein in the urine, and under the microscope specific types of cells and other material that could indicate damage to the kidneys. Doctors will generally run a blood test called the serum creatinine. This test measures kidney function and if it is elevated above normal levels, it could indicate kidney dysfunction from lupus nephritis.

There are 6 classes of lupus nephritis. Class I is almost never seen because it shows minimal changes and doesn't have any clinical signs. The Classes that come to clinical attention are Class 3, 4, and 5. Class 3 and class 4 are called proliferative lupus nephritis and are very inflammatory and can develop renal insufficiency fairly quickly. The difference between Class 3 and Class 4 is the percent glomerular involvement. Class 5 Lupus nephritis is also called membranous lupus nephritis. In this particular Class the immune complexes are made in lupus deposit on the urine side of the glomerular basement membrane. The glomeruli are the filtering units of the kidney, and as blood is filtered to form the initial urine, it is filtered across the glomerular basement membrane. In Class 5 the immune complexes are on the urine side of the glomerular basement membrane and they make the basement membrane leaky for protein. Class 5 lupus nephritis is characterized by a large amount of protein in the urine. Unlike class 3 and 4 there is not a lot of inflammation in the kidneys. Therefore Class 5 tends to be less aggressive, does not usually present with kidney failure or abnormal kidney function, but can progress to towards kidney insufficiency over a long time if not controlled.

I hope that this information was helpful, I realize that it does not answer all of your questions and I apologize for that. I wish you and your mother the very best.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!