Thread: Advice please! Mycophenolate, tooth extraction and antibiotics?

Thanks

Question Advice please! Mycophenolate, tooth extraction and antibiotics?

Hi peeps!
    I need a tooth extraction! It's making me so poorly because I'm on mycophenolate and my body can't fight the infections from where it's rubbing my gum.
    I have a consult tomorrow morning and I'm wondering whether it's important to have antibiotics after the extraction?
    I have been on myco' for 9 weeks and my body isn't used to it yet so I'm still at the struggling stage. This is the second time I have had to have antibiotics since starting on myco' because of a tooth infection. This infection has made me house bound and I was in bed for 3 days...so poorly!

So the question is...do I need to make sure I have antibiotics after the extraction?

Thanks in advance!
    Jx

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Patients with lupus are often at increased risk for many complications from common dental treatments (both surgical and non-surgical). Some risks include:

• Increased risk of infection even with fairly non-invasive dental procedures due to the use of immunosuppressive agents in treating lupus
    • Compromised lung function with some forms of lupus (this may make it inadvisable to administer nitrous oxide during treatment)
    • Excessive bleeding during oral surgery
    • A heart problem called Liebman-Sacks Endocarditis (this hidden effect of lupus can cause death if oral bacteria enter the bloodstream as a result of a dental procedure)
    • Kidney problems that increase the risk of organ damage from commonly prescribed dental antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medication.

It is true that patients with lupus generally need to be administered antibiotics following a dental treatment in order to prevent the possibility of an infection due to having a compromised immune system. Post-operative exeminations for the lupus patient should be more frequent and will usually extend over a longer period of time than would be the case for the non-lupus patient.

I hope that this information was helpful to you. Please let us know if you need anything more. Best of luck to you.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Jaynie (02-20-2014)

Thanks

Saysusie,
    Thanks for your reply! Is there a particular antibiotic to avoid? I already have to avoid ibuprofen and voltarol.

Jx

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

There are so many antibiotics out there and, unfortunately, we don't know which ones will not work for us until we try it. However, it is suggested that we avoid sulfa based antibiotics. Now this is not true for all of us, but as a general rule, it has been suggested that we avoid them.

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Saysusie For This Useful Post:

Jaynie (02-22-2014)