Thread: Hi new here,quick question on mouthwash's? etc

Hybrid View

Thanks

Default Hi new here,quick question on mouthwash's? etc

Hi all
    Found here by browsing Google as my wife has Lupus and has been told to use Difflam Mouth rinse/products and Oranurse toothpaste but was wondering if there are any alternatives to these such as Biotene products?
    Just not sure the difference as new to this condition and also as it is not me it is hard for me to judge on things?
    Cheers
    Mick
    ps If this is not the right thing to ask in this section could a Admin place this in the correct section as new to this forum,many thanks!

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,617 Times in 1,107 Posts

hi, i am not sure of any products ........

but i wanted to say hi and it is nice to see a supportive husband.
    When you're stressed, You eat Ice cream, Cake, Chocolate & Sweets. Why? Because stressed spelled backwards is DESSERTS.

Saysusie is offline Super Moderator Super ModeratorEmperor of the Universe
    Blog Entries
    Thanks

Here are the ingredients for both so that you can make a comparison in order to help you make a decision. Many patients, however, use both biotene and difflam as each are for quite different purposes. I do not think that one can replace the other.

BIOTENE: Mouthwashes that are categorized as antibacterial peroxidase formulas have four enzymes that work together to bring back natural saliva production and guard against dry mouth. These four enzymes are glucose oxidase (converts glucose to promote saliva and decrease oral bacteria) , lactoferrin(an antimicrobial, antiviral and antibacterial agent that helps iron absorption), lysozyme ( an enzyme that destroys a bacteria's cell wall protection by breaking the carbohydrate chains that surround the bacteria) and lactoperoxidasea milk enzyme that has natural bacterial defense systems). According to the Australian Prescriber, these enzymes have a low pH value that may contribute to dental erosion when used over a long period of time.

DIFFLAM:
    Difflam oral rinse contains the active ingredient benzydamine hydrochloride, which is a type of medicine called a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID). Benzydamine hydrochloride is a painkilling medicine used to relieve mild to moderate pain and inflammation. It is most effective if applied directly to the area affected.
    Benzydamine works by preventing the formation of prostaglandins.
    Prostaglandins are produced in response to injury and certain diseases and conditions, and cause pain, swelling and inflammation. Benzydamine blocks the production of these prostaglandins and is therefore effective at reducing inflammation and pain.
    Benzydamine also acts as a local anaesthetic, causing numbness and so pain relief at the site of application.
    Difflam oral rinse is used as a mouthwash to relieve pain and inflammation in the mouth and throat.

I hope that this was helpful!

Peace and Blessings
    Namaste
    Saysusie
    Look For The Good and Praise It!